Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pictures of my '86 Ranger

Thanks, Charles...

So here's another installment to the saga....I would stop by the dealership body shop and check on the progress of my truck. On one of these visits, the body shop manager told me that the truck was out of the paint booth, go check it out. Well, it looked pretty nice and I told him so, except for one small detail.....They painted the damaged side of the truck like an '88, my truck was an '86. He about chit when I told him.

86RangerEvansvilleConv.jpg

Notice the way the accent two tone as it goes up over the wheel opening. that's as an '86 is supposed to look.

Below how they originally painted the damaged side of my truck, like '88's were painted.

86RangerPaintshop3.jpg

86RangerPaintshop2.jpg

No Chris, they only painted the passenger side. I can't tell you how upset I was when the body shop manager tried to tell me they no longer made the tape stripe (there is a small strip of tape stripe that separates the primary body color from the accent color) for the '86 two tone style and wanted to paint the drivers side to match the just painted like an '88 side. Wow, I was upset. I told him he needed to find the tape and I would not accept it any other way.

One of the things that added to my frustration was the fact that the guy that hit me had no insurance and my insurance was fixing my truck. My insurance paid for a rental car for thirty days. At the time we were forty five days into this nightmare. I even had to pay my deductible because that joker had no insurance.

On edit let me try to better explain:

My truck was some sort of limited, special, or late edition XLT with the STX two tone paint combo not offered or shown in the '86 brochure (that's what I was told when I bought it). In '88 the STX had another paint combo and the run of the mill Ranger had the two tone where the lower accent color followed the character lines of the body around the wheel lip like they had painted the repaired side of mine. I know it wasn't a huge difference, but I wanted mine to remain as it came painted from the factory, unique. My frustration was growing through the whole ordeal it was all was a lose, lose situation for me. Well guess what, after a week of standing my ground, the body shop manager called me to tell me he found the proper tape stripe and repainted their screw up.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Well I'm glad they made it right, but that really sucks. And for the record-- I liked your 86 paint job a LOT better than the 88.

FTF'er
How old was the truck when it got hit?

How old was the truck when it got hit?

The truck was two years old. I remember the date and time because when we went to get the truck out of the towing yard they had marked 1 30 on the drivers window in grease pencil. My Buddy said, look there, they wrote the time of the accident on your window, why do you think they did that. Another Buddy laughing said to him, you dumb a$$, what's today's date? Sooo, at 1:30 a.m. on Jan.30, 1988 is when it happened.

radialarm

Clown of Death!

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Quit clowning around and go read the thread from the beginning!
I did, but my smart a-- remark still stands!!!

I've been watching you!!! Quit spending so much time here remembering the past. You're better off with the SuperDuty!!!:slap:

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Last edited:
Don't be to sure.... The guy that hit my truck (actually there were a total of five guys in his truck) was driving what I now know to be a rare bumpside crew cab F250. He and his four buddies had just left a bachelor party. Nobody was hurt of the seven of us involved. We had all three of the westbound lanes of I-70 blocked. All seven of us were sitting on the guard rail and in the distance you could here all of the sirens of the first responders, police, multiple EMS, and fire struggling to get to the scene of the accident. It was an ugly looking scene and I can only imagine what they were expecting to find when they arrived.

The idiot was rat racing a guy in a Camaro that had just gone by me at a high (looked to be maybe 100mph) rate of speed. The guy in the truck was weaving in and out of traffic trying to keep up but wound up just clipping me. My truck started "skating" around like a NASCAR stock car and started towards the guard rail and did get into it. As I fought it off of that, it literally started "bicycling" on two wheels before it went on it's side. It laid over so softly, it never broke the windshield. Hell, the passenger mirror you see folded in with the back of it with holes burnt through from grinding on the concrete, wasn't broken.

At the risk of catching helluva lot of flack for dredging up this old thread, especially for something so trivial, I just had to post a picture..... I was cleaning out an old cabinet in my garage and found these two Ford centercap emblems.... They only came in a package of four and the Cragar Weld wheels I was putting on the Ranger only needed them for the rear wheels.... When I spotted these two leftover I got a little sentimental

86ranger2.jpg

7-23-12003Large.jpg

OK go ahead.....fire away....'hiding_smilie'

Last edited:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
What's that red thing in the background?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts