Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Pics of my '77 beater

So I believe the problem with the 05 was actually my fault. I was having stalling and hesitation problems with it, and my Edge tuner was indicating erradict fuel pressure readings. Replaced the fuel filter on it last night, so far everything seems good. Its got 62K on it right now, and that was the original fuel filter, I should have replaced it sooner. It was actually very simple to replace, took me about 5 minutes to do, besides the fact that I splashed gas in my face.

As far as modern technology is concerned, I oftentimes poke fun at my 05 when I have a problem with it, but in all honesty, it does everthing that my '77 can do, but better. It hauls better, tows better, rides better, handles better, and is more comfortable than the '77. It makes more power than a stock 460 (300hp, 365tq), and still knocks down 14mpg everyday even with 35" Mud terrains and 4.56 gears. It does have a lot of complexity in the computer system, but for the most part the computer can troubleshoot itself.

Now, whether or not the 05 will be around in 30 yrs is a different story. I doubt it will be, given how hard I use it. I do know one thing: it will never compare to the dentsides as far as styling. They are classic, that's all there is to it. YelloThumbUp

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
You've got a pretty nice project going on there. It just looks mean.

Well, the fuel filter did not fix my 05, so I'm back to driving the '77 til I can figure out what's wrong with it. Technology is nice, but it does come at a price sometimes. The 05 will troubleshoot itself, but it seems like this time even it doesn't know what's wrong with itself - no check engine codes. Back to old trusty...

You've got a pretty nice project going on there. It just looks mean.

Thanks man, wish mine was as nice as yours... but then if it was I'd have to buy another beater to haul crap with and drive it through the woods... its a viscious cycle...

I had to drive the '77 this morning since the '05 is kinda ill. Its -8 here in western PA this morning, and the old girl fired right up on the first try! Woohooo! Gotta love these old trucks!

Lol... if you swap a better motor in it the thing probably won't run as well as it does with the half dead motor in it now....

Looks like a ton of fun regardless!

Lol... if you swap a better motor in it the thing probably won't run as well as it does with the half dead motor in it now....

Looks like a ton of fun regardless!

Haha, ain't that the truth! For having zero compression on two cylinders, this thing is pretty reliable! YelloThumbUp

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
....... besides the fact that I splashed gas in my face.

i did that once. nothing like running for the water hose, blind, while your friend laughs at you and the neighbors think you've lost your mind.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
i did that once. nothing like running for the water hose, blind, while your friend laughs at you and the neighbors think you've lost your mind.

Vodka works better than water...it cuts the burning. I found that out when I was trying to 'prime' a fuel pump and suck gas from the tank to the pump with the fuel hose and my mouth. Got a mouth full of gas, got it all over my face, in my eyes and all over my arm. My dad laughed his azz off.

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
i was changing out an in-tank fuel pump on a 1990 crown vic and while pulling off the fuel lines (i was under the car) i got a face full of gas. atleast the friend helping me didnt laugh till we knew i could still see.

There's nothing like swallowing a mouthful of gas to ruin the rest of the day. Swallowing the gas isn't the bad part, it's burping it up for the rest of the day that sucks. :(

i was changing out an in-tank fuel pump on a 1990 crown vic and while pulling off the fuel lines (i was under the car) i got a face full of gas. atleast the friend helping me didnt laugh till we knew i could still see.

Hope y'all had pulled the gas cap off first - releases some of the pressure. I usually put rags around the fuel line ends before pulling em out ...helps to smother the spray

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
There's nothing like swallowing a mouthful of gas to ruin the rest of the day. Swallowing the gas isn't the bad part, it's burping it up for the rest of the day that sucks. :(

That's for sure! Over the summer, I was siphoning the gas out of a friends car that had locked up the engine as they were pulling out of the gas station.
They had just filled the tank, and needed the gas for their other car, but didn't know how to get it out of the tank.
So I told them that I'd siphon it out for them.
At first, the gas didn't want to start flowing, and after 10 minutes of trying I finally got it, along with swallowing a full mouthful of 91 octane.
I had flammable burps for the next 4 hours. (found that out by lighting a cig and exhaling while my zippo was still lit, lol)

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Holy hell Dan...you were huffing gas fumes for 10 mins. I know whenever I siphon gas, after about 4-5 breaths I'm totally disoriented and dizzy and have to sit down. But I usually use a garden hose...so maybe too much.

1973 F-100 4x4

'77 F-250 Custom 4x4
Wish I had had a garden hose to use.
Would have been a lot easier than the 7/16 heater hose I ended up using.
Yea, I had to take breaks in between tries also, got dizzy and light-headed a couple times.

Blue Bomber

Tennessee Chapter member
Hope y'all had pulled the gas cap off first - releases some of the pressure. I usually put rags around the fuel line ends before pulling em out ...helps to smother the spray

yeah, we already undid the cap and unbolted the filler neck. i went to the parts store and got cheap line wrenches (the plastic ones) and they sucked really bad, i tried to get the lines off for about 30 minutes. so i went back out and got better ones and the line poped off on the first try.

yeah, we already undid the cap and unbolted the filler neck. i went to the parts store and got cheap line wrenches (the plastic ones) and they sucked really bad, i tried to get the lines off for about 30 minutes. so i went back out and got better ones and the line poped off on the first try.

Yeah some tools are fine to go cheapo on but stuff like o-ring pliers and fuel line tools I usually throw down the cash for...Most of my stuff like that is Snap-On or Matco.

Ford Truck Articles