Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

picked up a 78 bronco

picked this old girl up today for 650 bucks. its a 78, supposedly 351,c6,205. the body is pretty damn rough but thats ok because its going to be a trail truck. it runs really well and the tranny atleast works in first lol. i only backed it on the trailer so i have no clue if it shifts. it has almost new 32x11.50s on it. the rear end is about shot, i can rotate the tires almost 1/4 turn before the drive shaft even thinks of wiggeling and when it does finally wiggle i can vissibly see up and down movement of the pinion. it didnt stop me from buying it as i have a good set of 3/4 tons that will find there way under it. oh its got the factory roll bar and GT wheel. the spare is the original spare from 78 so thats kinda cool. the back window dosent work and i cant get the tail gate open either but ill play with that soon. enough talk, heres the pics

yall know the tow rig by now
IMG_2827.jpg

IMG_2828.jpg

IMG_2831.jpg

IMG_2834.jpg

IMG_2833.jpg

IMG_2836.jpg

IMG_2837.jpg

IMG_2838.jpg

IMG_2840.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

for now its just gona wait its turn, prolly drive around the fields here just to keep it from sitting. i have to get the blue truck on the road so i have something to tow this thing to trails with.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Nice find- especially for the money!

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
that's the year I would like, along with a SB pickup stepside. I like the round headlights. I know in the later part of the year they switched to the rectangular... Congratulations! Have fund with her!
Dak

that's the year I would like, along with a SB pickup stepside. I like the round headlights. I know in the later part of the year they switched to the rectangular... Congratulations! Have fund with her!
Dak

yeah i dig the round headlights too. i know alot of people dont like em but i love em!

Man I love those! I've got a buddy with a 79 for sale, 400/4 speed, rough body, and the wife says I've got to many projects (she's right). That don't stop me from wanting it though. Nice find, for the money even better!

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Some guys have all the luck...for the money, I say that's a steal.

Nice for the price

Nice Bronco find, I really like the round hdlights in early 78, mine is 79 square so I changed up to diamond cut HID's but still like the round. At least pretty much all the truck is available for parts. I just redid my rear quarters ,fenders and one door and started driving it after it sat for 5 years. Good luck and have fun. Solid axles rule.smilieFordlogo

yeah im a fan of the round headlights too.

i was screwing around with it int he field today and im not sure what the deal is but it has NO balls. i mean it seems to run plenty good, but if i stab it it wont even spin 235s on wet grass. i know the rear is shot but i cant see it slipping that much and still moving at all. trans maybe? i checked tranny fluid and its where its supposed to be and dosent appear burnt.

any ideas?

Nice Bronco find, I really like the round hdlights in early 78, mine is 79 square so I changed up to diamond cut HID's

AN FYI,
5" x 7" is not a square..

Ford and others have Rectangular head lights.

Details are everything :)

in 1978, Ranger trim line and above got Rectangular Headlights

Only Custom trim line got round

In 1979 all F-100-F350's got rectangular headlights...No round ones.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
yeah im a fan of the round headlights too.

i was screwing around with it int he field today and im not sure what the deal is but it has NO balls. i mean it seems to run plenty good, but if i stab it it wont even spin 235s on wet grass. i know the rear is shot but i cant see it slipping that much and still moving at all. trans maybe? i checked tranny fluid and its where its supposed to be and dosent appear burnt.

any ideas?

I'm sure you'll perform your due diligence, but I'd assume a compression check would reveal why the Bronco has no balls. The original 351M I had in my Bronco ran on 5 cylinders...and before the swap, the 351M was pulling double digit hp numbers. It literally did not have the balls to go over those 4" curbs in parking lots.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
In 1979 all F-100-F350's got rectangular headlights...No round ones.
If that was the case, why does the '73/79 Passenger Car (Bronco) & Light Truck Parts Catalogs list round headlights and a round headlight core support for 1979's?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts