Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Perma-Cool 19510 Electric Fan Installation

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
chris, you should seriously think about grabbing a few of these parts and package them together.

put a few instructions in the package (which you already have) and sell for a $50 profit on ebay.
Not a bad idea... Just not sure if it's worth my effort. The whole process for retrieving packaging supplies, cutting them down to the right size (can take a VERY long time), printing labels, getting them sent out, blah blah blah... I've come to realize its a real hassle. Not to mention I'd still have to go down to the junkyard and pull the fans too. Ehhh, not for me. If any of you guys are in dire straights I'd be glad to pull a fan for you and send it at cost but I'd like not to make a habit out of it.

Michigan
Can i have a fan? LMAO!!!!!! Jk yea i counted over 12 E fans from older taurases at the junk yard by me. I just gotta get down there and take one out for myself lol. (To lazy)..

F 150Cobra

"Wild HoRsE" Got Torque?
Aruba
sooo did you get any better mpg and Hp with the fan ??

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I personally noticed about a single MPG gain. The horsepower... it feels better when it's not on, but I can't be entirely sure without a dyno. I just don't want to proclaim it faster when it's just the placebo effect.

Ryan

No noticeable HP gain?

I've been wanting to do this exact conversion on my '94 Bronco XLT for a few years. This year is more disgustingly hot and humid than I can remember (or, I'm just getting old and can't take it anymore) and I'm finally motivated.

It's typically over 115 degrees in Arizona and my mechanical fan clutch is engaged all the time. It is impossible to survive the AZ summer without AC running, so turning it off is not an option. The fan is worthless for both the engine and the A/C when sitting in traffic during my hour-long drive to and from work each day. Besides that, it robs so much power from the engine, that the late shifting causes the transmission to jerk hard into second gear.

I'm hoping that the electric fan conversion will, at least, cure these problems for me, even if I don't notice any HP gain or fuel savings.

What do you think? Are these electric fans capable of handling this sick heat? I have an electric pusher on it right now, and it doesn't seem to do a thing beyond keeping the A/C a little cooler when sitting still. The engine still begins to overheat after 30 seconds.

Also, I've been told that the rated 19-amp draw from these fans will be too much for a stock alternator. Is that true? If so, what do you recommend as a high-output replacement?

Thanks!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I am running a stock alternator, and believe it to be the 95 amp.

I haven't had any power draw problems, and I also have a sound system hooked up that draws near 15-20 amps under load.

I recommend this fan, and it moves all the air it claims. The amount of air you can feel pouring out the bottom of the truck when sitting in a parking lot while it is running is unreal. This particular model has no problems whatsoever keeping the engine at a managable temperature. I've found that it runs about 30-40% of the time while idling or sitting, and almost never while running on the highway.

The horsepower gain was there, but not enormous. I'm pleased with the upgrade.

Ryan

Where should I get it?

OK, cool. I can't read any amp rating on it, so I'll worry about an alternator upgrade later if it becomes a problem.

I checked around and it seems that Summit Racing has it for the lowest price. They list the Perma-Cool 19510 for $449.95 on their web site. A lot of other places list it over $500.

Do you have any recommendations on somewhere else to buy it?

Thanks!

OK, cool. I can't read any amp rating on it, so I'll worry about an alternator upgrade later if it becomes a problem.

I checked around and it seems that Summit Racing has it for the lowest price. They list the Perma-Cool 19510 for $449.95 on their web site. A lot of other places list it over $500.

Do you have any recommendations on somewhere else to buy it?

Thanks!

Current draw for this fan = 19 amps according to the summit site

For your info, I used a flex-a-lite FLX-396 that cost me ~$113 and it cools the motor (302) fine. It is a single 16 inch fan that flows ~2200 cfm and draws 13 amps. Unless you have AC (I don't) you wont need a massive amount amount of air flow. Not that all that flow hurts, but it doesnt help much either + it is harder on the charging system. It does look like you have AC, so you will likely need alot of flow.

Also, if you are going increase the load on the charging system it would be a good idea to upgrade the battery negative to frame connection, the alternator to battery positive connection and the engine block to frame connection. Use thicker cables and make sure that the connection surfaces are CLEAN. This will make the charging system more efficient and with more load than the vehicle was designed with this is GOOD. A 130 amp alt (an easy conversion) would be good too. I did this with 1/0 gauge cable. Overkill? Probably, but I had it laying around plus I had no problem at all making it work/fit.

I think Skan has a Taurus fan for sale - that may be another good way to go.

Last edited:

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My extra taurus fan is sold and gone. They can be had at the junkyard for $30 or less out of any Taurus with the 3.8L engine. I believe the low speed pulls around 20 amps (give or take a little bit) but pulls AMPLE cfm. In really hot weather, when using the A/C, and idling at traffic lights -- sometimes it's necessary to flip it on high which pulls something like 30-40 amps. The high speed can be rather taxing on the charging system, even with my 95amp alternator. So I just use it very sparingly. One thing is for sure -- if my engine temp starts to rise, I can flip the switch to high and WATCH the gauge fall down -- it's pretty amazing.

On its way...

OK, I couldn't wait. I ordered the 19510 over the weekend.

I'll try to remember to take my own set of pictures during installation and post them, along with my performance observations while operating in this irritating Phoenix, AZ heat. It's 110 degrees F and 25% humidity at the time of this post, but it's just going to get more humid and hot over the next couple of months.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Drove around today in about 92* heat, and the heat was no contest for the fan. Just letting you know you have a good product incoming.

You're going to be surprised how fast the installation is. Let me know if you have any questions.

Ryan

Back-ordered. This sux.

Well, it looks like I have a few weeks to go before I get my fan. :headbang:

Here's the email reply that I got from the manufacturer:

RE: Cool-Pack 19510 Availability
Sent: Wed 7/23/08 8:59 AM

Unfortunately that part number has been out of stock for a few months, and I don’t not believe that any of our distributors will have one in stock at this moment; however we should have those in stock in about a by the end of next week. If you have any further questions please feel free to contact us. Thank you for your interest in Perma-Cool products.

Joseph Martinez
Technical Assistance
Perma Industries Inc.
400 S. Rockefeller Ave.
Ontario, CA, 91761

www.perma-cool.com

"Don't just cool it...Perma-Cool it!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, July 14, 2008 10:56 AM
To: orders&service
Subject: Cool-Pack 19510 Availability

Hi.

I recently ordered a Cool-Pack 19510 from Summit Racing (www.summitracing.com) and then cancelled my order when I saw that it was back-ordered until the middle of next month. I then placed an order for the same unit with Jegs (www.jegs.com) because their site listed the item as "Ready To Ship". Now, when viewing my order status it also shows it as back-ordered!

Is there a supply problem with this specific unit?

Would you please direct me to an on-line distributor that actually has one in stock?

-Thanks

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Wow that's pretty lame. Hopefully it doesn't take quite as long as they say. Normally those estimates are on the high side.

LAME!

OK, I'm done screwing around. They just bumped up the ETA to September 28th. :headbang:

Well, the AZ heat is on its way out, so my mechanical fan clutch is no longer sucking the life out of my engine.

I'll try again next spring and see if the company finally has it's crap together on parts sourcing.

Taurus fan for the win!! :nana:
Do you have a wiring diagram of how you wired the 3.8L Taurus fan?

I see in the shop diagrams the fan has three wires. A ground wire and two more wires coming from a constant control relay module.
For low speed is it one hot wire and then hi speed both are hot or is one wire for low and one for hi?

I also see that it is a single fan setup, I had thought that most photos that I have seen have a two fan setup.

I know a lot of ford radiators have a place for a sensor, do you use this or is your setup just a flip of switches controlling relays?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
The fan has 2 separate circuits, one for each speed. So you only put power to ONE of the wires at a time, and the electrical circuit must be designed as such.

And dual taurus fans? Nah, not for me, thanks. The single fan already taxes my 95amp alternator pretty good, ESPECIALLY on high speed.

I use a temperature operated switch with a pin in the radiator, along with a HIGH speed manual override switch on the dash. 3-position switch (TempControlled - Off - HighSpeed).

In the temp controlled switch, the a/c also turns on the low speed on the fan.

I originally wired it to use the high speed when the a/c came on but it taxed my electrical too much, and the low speed is ample. I only use the high speed in emergencies.

Here's my original diagram:

FinalCircuitLowspeed.jpg

Later I reworked it so that the a/c would activate the LOW speed, and this is the circuit I came up with, though I didn't pretty it up like the first one:

NewFanCircuit.png

You're an electrical guy so I imagine you can figure it out. The 9V was used instead of 12V just for the purposes of the program, because 12V blows the relays. The piggybacked SPST switches at the top emulate the 3-position switch (no 3-position in the program I use). 3 relays, one for each speed then one to switch between them, to assure that I never power both fan circuits at one time. The 9V source + switch in the middle are emulating the a/c circuit. Switch at the bottom is emulating the temp-operated switch. Oh and there should also be a fuse on the main 12V line (which I have installed), but for the purposes of the diagram I didn't bother to use it.

If you can't read it lemme know and I'll dress it up to make more sense.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts