Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

people with longtubes

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
How did you address the issue of the unused o2 censor?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
What do you mean "unused" o2 sensor? You mean where to put your o2 sensor? You should have the collector tapped and a bung welded on ;)

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
That sounds time consuming.

i thought i heard somewhere once that you could just get a bogus plug to attach it to that would feed the ECU fake crap

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That sounds time consuming.

i thought i heard somewhere once that you could just get a bogus plug to attach it to that would feed the ECU fake crap
LOL!! Not for o2 sensors. They're not emissions equipment buddy, they need to give accurate readings to keep your air/fuel ratio in the proper range. You can't spoof o2 sensors-- tapping the collector is your only choice and it's not that hard. Drill a hole, buy an o2 sensor bung, weld it over hole. If you're not comfortable then most exhaust shops can do it too.

http://beta.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Weld-In-Bungs/Bung-Type/Oxygen-sensor/?Ns=Rank|Asc

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
And what exactly would happen if hypothetically i didnt? it would run very rich because it would be pulling readings from the air right?

I knew i should have gone carbed. there ought to be some way to flash the ECU to keep one damn fuel ratio.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
And what exactly would happen if hypothetically i didnt? it would run very rich because it would be pulling readings from the air right?

I knew i should have gone carbed. there ought to be some way to flash the ECU to keep one damn fuel ratio.
If you let the o2 sensor dangle outside the exhaust then you'd most likely be detecting way too much oxygen so it would probably dump fuel to compensate-- run rich. That's my guess.

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
If you let the o2 sensor dangle outside the exhaust then you'd most likely be detecting way too much oxygen so it would probably dump fuel to compensate-- run rich. That's my guess.

No, as soon as the PCM detected no swing in the O2 sensor signal around stoich, it will go out of closed loop mode, and then into limp home mode......

you either need to put it in as skandocious described or have a tuner burn you a chip with a european program to do away with it(most european fords had no o2 sensors at all).

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
The issue im having is that i ran the wiring harness off the 302 on the 351, and the 302 o2 censor bung was just after the manifld collector flange attaches to the exhaust, the 351 was 1/2 way down the exhaust before the cat.
All i am running is the 302 manifolds (on the 351) with true dual piping to about the T case. so i should cut out the bung from the old piping and drill it into this stuff? or would just drilling a hold and JB Welding the sensor in suffice?

Bob Ayers

North Carolina Chapter member
Durham, NC
you either need to put it in as skandocious described or have a tuner burn you a chip with a european program to do away with it(most european fords had no o2 sensors at all).

Which ones? The Europeans had O2 sensors before the Americans, it was
called Lambda Sond.

i can't be positive but it was definately a few 5.0 applications and i believe it was due to leaded fuel.when i was talking to my tuner about my truck and maybe using a 94-95 mustang computer,i needed to know if i had to add in the 2nd o2 that the mustang had and he was the one who made me aware of this.he told me he could use some euro calibrations or something and do away with the o2's all together.now this may sound like bullshit to some but his name is eric brooks and he's the owner of modularfords.com.he does extensive custom tuning all over the country so i feel sure he knows what he's talking about.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
Get the bung fixed on. It's a cheap job, and really not a big deal. Have you already installed them? If they're not even installed yet, just take off the header and take it to the shop. You can drop it off in the morning and pick it up on the way home.

Ryan

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
i can't be positive but it was definately a few 5.0 applications and i believe it was due to leaded fuel.when i was talking to my tuner about my truck and maybe using a 94-95 mustang computer,i needed to know if i had to add in the 2nd o2 that the mustang had and he was the one who made me aware of this.he told me he could use some euro calibrations or something and do away with the o2's all together.now this may sound like bullshit to some but his name is eric brooks and he's the owner of modularfords.com.he does extensive custom tuning all over the country so i feel sure he knows what he's talking about.
But I'd imagine that without o2 sensors to calculate the ACTUAL needed A/F ratio, you'd probably get pretty bad economy due to it "euro calculations" not being 100% accurate.

radialarm

Clown of Death!
I would think it would cost more to reflash/reprogram your computer than it would to weld in an o2 bung!!!

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
You need to do it the right way, your not puttin stock manifolds back on? Put them long tubes on, and its super easy to drill a hole and weld the bung on.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
And besides, think of how fun it'll be to see how many times you can say 'bung' to the guy at the exhaust shop.

Ryan
That's 90% of the fun YelloThumbUp

"Hey do you guys do bungs? Can you do my bung for me? I'm afraid of doing bungs... You look like you'd be pretty good at doing bungs."

"Yeah what kind is it?"

"Well would it be better if I just pulled out my bung out right now? I think it would really just be better if you handled the bung, to get a feel for it."

**drops it**

"HEY!!! Be careful with my bung... It's delicate."

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts