Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

PCV Valve.. delete?

TheRoadVirus

High-Steppin' Mo-Sheen
In theory, wouldn't a breather and a PCV both ventilate the crankcase? I can see having neither being an issue, but if you have one or the other.. don't they essentially do the same thing? I realize the breahter doesn't "recycle" the vapors, correct me if I'm wrong.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
In theory, wouldn't a breather and a PCV both ventilate the crankcase? I can see having neither being an issue, but if you have one or the other.. don't they essentially do the same thing? I realize the breahter doesn't "recycle" the vapors, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ya know...you're never around anymore man but when you are gawd you've got useful information.

TAAAA DAAAAAAAAA!smilietease

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
I don't know if that's entirely true. I don't know exactly how the inner PCV mechanism works but keep in mind that it's a VALVE, not a straight pass-through. I don't know exactly which vapors it allows through and which it doesn't (if at all). But there is clearly a mechanism in there.

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
yeah i believe in a PCV Valve there is a check valve in it. now correct me if im wrong but i believe that the check valve stays closed until there is a certain pre determined amount of pressure until it raises up and releases the pressure

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
yeah i believe in a PCV Valve there is a check valve in it. now correct me if im wrong but i believe that the check valve stays closed until there is a certain pre determined amount of pressure until it raises up and releases the pressure
If that's the case then a breather would not be the exact same thing.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Is it pressure or vacuum that operates the check valve? If you pull the pcv valve out of the valve cover and stick your finger over it, the vacuum from the source on the other end of the line sucks the check valve open.

PCV Valve is Vaccum operated

89frankenford

Grabber Green Consultant
NH
and i believe the breather is an open filter element. hmm now how much power/MPG/longevity will you get outta each if they were installed?\\i honestly dont know..i know the breather has a tendency of getting the valve cover dirty from small amounts of oil

The spring tends to hold the valve closed, and vacuum tends to keep it open.

I suppose that's why it's called a positive crancase ventilation valve - it's always pulling vapors no matter the engine situation.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts