Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Passenger side valve cover ?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Hey fellas...this should probably go in the 335 series forum, but I figured it would get more looks here. Anyway, last week I noticed some sort of valve or something on the rear but on the top of my passenger side valve cover. I had never noticed it before (even with the carb/intake swap and previous valve cover gasket replacement). It's a valve/breahter/something sticking up and out, and it looks like it has a piece of cloth over it as a 'filter' secured by a ziptie. It was smogged 351M, but the PO disassembled that system, so I'm assuming this piece has something to do with the smog equipment. Can I just get a block off plate or something for it? If so where (never had a smog rig before)? If my post is confusing I can go take a few pics, I just didn't want to have to walk a mile there and back to snap a few pics. Thanks for any info.

A pic would help, but that sounds like something the PO might have done to keep debris out of the elbow. IIRC that elbow is suppose to connect to a hose that runs up to the stock air cleaner and it acts like a breather.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...if no one else knows, I'll run down and take a couple pics. It just confused me because Red doesn't have one...or otherwise I woulda tried to trace it. If it is a breather...can't I just get one of those VC type filters to replace the breather with?

Isn't that where the PCV valve goes? Is it in a "D' shaped grommet with about a 3/4" - 1" hole in the center?

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Sounds like you just need to replace it with the usual PCV valve.

ford351.jpg

If you're talking about the thingee with the hose that runs back behind the carb, it's the PCV valve

(I've got a feeling he's taking a walk to snap pics)'hah'

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Isn't that where the PCV valve goes? Is it in a "D' shaped grommet with about a 3/4" - 1" hole in the center?

Can't really tell, didn't look at it too hard, and the AC box is in the way and it's covered in dirt/grit/oil. I'll run down in a few minutes and snap a few pics.

On the stock valve covers the PCV valve is on the drivers side. It goes in on top of the oil filler cap. The one you're talking about on the passenger side is just an open elbow.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
No it's not an open elbow, it's a valve.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright fellas...got off my lazy azz and snapped a few pics:

DSC02195.jpg

DSC02196.jpg

So now...what is SUPPOSED to be there, or what can I put there? I really don't think the cloth is doing it's job anymore...haha.

77 351m

7-71-r10.jpg

77 400

7-74-r0.jpg

302351M400engine.jpg

Last edited:
If the pvc is on the opposite side like highorse said that's just the place where the hose that went up to the stock air cleaner originated.

Edit: Looks like Dennis has what you need right there

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
So then leaving it as is is fine? I'd really like to do something about it. Is there anything that can go in its place?

Is the pcv on the opposite side?

I'd say if you aren't going to hook up all of the smog stuff (and why would you?) you should do like highhorse said and run a hose up to your air cleaner, with a filter on the end of it. Judging from the oil on that cloth, the thing needs to breathe.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Is the pcv on the opposite side?

I'd say if you aren't going to hook up all of the smog stuff (and why would you?) you should do like highhorse said and run a hose up to your air cleaner, with a filter on the end of it. Judging from the oil on that cloth, the thing needs to breathe.

Yes the PCV is on the opposite side. Then I guess my next question is...I know where the hose would go if I had the stock air cleaner assembly, but I have an open element air cleaner...how do I route a hose to that?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yes...I got it hooked up on the driver's side.

You know - looking at the first diagram Dennis posted, (c)and(d) are pcv valves installed on the passenger side.

Probably doesn't matter as long as you have one on one side or the other -

As far as how to put the breather hose on an open element filter, you could use the appropriate size punch to pop a hole in the top of the thing and use a breather filter that would stick through that hole and attach to the hose.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Alright...thanks for the help Steve.

UNRULEE

^LARGE carbon footprint^
Let me go brave the elements and snap a pic!

DO NOT PUNCH A HOLE YET!!!

Last edited:
One hose runs from the D/S valve cover to the air cleaner assembly

One hose runs to the carb base P/S.

2 places to remove crankcase vapours then direct them back into the engine.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts