Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

passenger power windo issue

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
this issue just came up a couple days ago....it started as an incredibly ear piercing high pitched sqeek like fingers on a chalkboard noise when the window is rolled down...then it just decided to stop.... when i try to roll it down i have to help it down and it sounds like the gears keep slipping and popping past eachother...when i roll it up i have to help it and it sounds like the motor just doesnt have the strenght to push it...i took the door panel off and looked it over there is nothing catichng in the window channel and nothing dragging on the window it just sounds like there is something keeping it from moving smoothly...but nothing i saw....if i remember correctly isnt there like 2 or 3 fuses for the power windos and locks? could a burnt fuse cause it to not perform at full ower or is the motor fried?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
My first inclination is either the regulator or the motor gear. Usually the nylon gears fail first from sheering teeth off but if it sounds like your motor is struggling to push up the window then I'm more inclined to believe it's the regulator.

This is what the regulator looks like:

740754001.jpg

If you think the regulator is okay then you could try to replace the gear if it's got sheered off teeth. Looks like this:

kit74409007.jpg

That item is listed under Power Window Motor Gear on Rockauto.

Check rockauto.com-- they've got several regulators to choose from. Or our site sponsor AutoAnything, I've gotten parts from them too and often times they beat rockauto's prices.

Old_Paint

Old guy with old cars
Alabama
Umm, you're going to need the gear repair kit.

If you can find 'em, the pawls are/were sold separately for about $6. Last time I did it, I had to get the gear/pawl/pinion kit, which is about $20/door.

The gear kit:
3110133_a1c_4291_pri_larg.jpg

The whole shebang:

5013844_aci_83394_pri_larg.jpg

The squealing was definitely something binding. Maybe the glass wore through the felt guide, or maybe (hopefully) it was just the rubber seal squealing on a REALLY clean glass surface. Doesn't EVERYBODY keep their glass squeaky clean?

No, a blown fuse isn't going to make it perform poorly. It will STOP it from performing at all. If you can hear the motor turning, all you need is the gear kit, but that is as good a time as any to clean the motors, if you know what you're doing inside an electric motor, and have the patience to put it back together. If you don't on either count, there's Plan C. Get whole window motors complete with gear and ready to install. Those can be had for about $60/door.

You do NOT have to take the door completely apart to replace them. You DO have to remove the inner door panel, but it really isn't a bad job to do this. Once you get the door panel off, you will find three small indentions that look like someone used a punch on the door before it was painted. This will be located low on the door, toward the front, below the door release handle. These marks are right above/in front of the bolts that attach the motor to the window regulator. They are for Ford Service Techs to replace the motors the "easy" way. Drill those indents out with a 1/8" drill bit, then open them up gradually to 1/2" diameter so you can get a 1/4" drive 3/8 socket through the hole to remove those three bolts. There is one electrical connector that should be easily reached. Unplug it, and you have the motor out. If you look at the photo of the motor/gear assembly, you'll see the spacing based on the three empty holes around the pinion gear.

If you have a good junkyard around, you could go get replacement motors there, but a friendly piece of advice will be to put new pawls in it minimum (if you can find just the pawls). Which ones fit? Here's a hint that indicates just about any one will. I have two 1986 T-Birds, and a '92 F-150 that share the same window motor. I'd say Ford didn't deviate much from that motor based on that.

I need two for my truck now, and will be headed for Pull-A-Part with my cordless drill and Unibit this weekend. I may just collect a whole bunch of 'em and repair them for back-ups. I know I need both on my truck, and IIRC, one of the birds needs a passenger side replaced too.

I'm getting to be an expert at these through a LOT of practice. This will be the 3rd time on the truck, and 2nd time on one of the Birds, and just did the first time on the other Bird. That's a lotta window motor repairs.

Last edited:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I get the whole motor from the parts store for like 50 bucks or so. And at least you know everything is new. Yea the gear is gone.

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i figured itd be about fried....ill prolly get a new motor and nylon gears for it at a arts house or something...i was hopin itd b simple and make me look stupid...ill give it a look in auto tomorro and probably go get the new stuff ( we get a discount on parts if we buy at the oreillys in town through the school) and giv it a whirl then

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts