Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

painted inner door panels

Hey guys, just wondering if anybody has painted the inner door panels from a 73-79 truck/bronco. What steps did you use, paint products, etc and did they look like originals after they were painted? Would you paint another set if you had to do it again or buy repro ones?
Thanks,
Eric

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
I only painted an original tan set black using Krylon for plastic and they turned out pretty good. I can't remember off hand what I used for prep (I think I just used a thinner). The set I painted was just a trial set because the panels were cracked up a bit and I wasn't going to use them. I only wanted to see how they'd turn out. I ended buying new ones. But, if I found a nice set but only needed painted, I'd go that route. I bought new because most panels that I found that were in excellent condition, went for the same price as new ones. So, new I went.

i painted the door panels on both my trucks and they both turned out very well but as i could not find the exact "stock color" i was looking for i had the paint "custom mixed" to match original for $22.00 a can i ordered my panels in 2nd grade from dc for about 50.00 each as they had to be painted my colors any ways cause no one sells cream or brown they fit very well also as compared to overseas ones i tried before and ended up throwing them away and yes i would do it again regurds joe

Painted plenty of sets. I've always used SEM products for painting them. I wipe them down with lacquer thinner to pre clean them.

I've painted many interior parts... Of all the paints I have used SEM paints along with the SEM adhesion promoter is a combo full of win!

Got all the door panels painted for my Crew - do they ever look nice! kustomizingkid and ranger429 - I used the SEM plastic adhesion promotor along with the SEM Color Coat (Landau Black) - they look just like brand new ones if not better! Thanks for the advice guys.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts