Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

overheating/high oil pressure

got home today, started up my truck after jumpstarting it. found some problems. after running 3-4 minutes the temp gauage was pinneed past hot, the oil pressure gauge was just passed center. took it 2 miles was going about 15-20 miles per hour.

get back the oil pressure is way high. i read that itll blow the engine to shut it off replace oil and filter so i will do that tomorrow.

all the radiator hoses were hot to the touch so i know its flowing.
why would it over heat so quick?

what do i do if the pressure is still high after new oil?

and the carb, its a stock motorcraft 2bbl it needs adjusted. it runs at higher rpms when its in park or neautral you put it in gear and it kills it because its not getting enough gas. what needs adjusted?

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Could be a stuck thermostat... I've had that happen...

How high is your oil pressure? 60+ is still normal on a good engine...

The pump has a pressure relief to prevent it from making too much pressure... Over 80 psi iirc it just blows back into the pan.

There are a few guys on here that are good with the stock 2bbl carbs and can probably walk you through adjusting it.

These years truck gauges have an issue of pinning for know other reason than..they do.

I found this out on my first long distance trip.

I freaked...until it happened a few times.

I consider it an ICVR issue or a sending units issue.

I would tee in a mechanical oil pressure gauge next to the sending unit
so when the gauge pins you have another source to view.

The oil starts out good then starts to get high after like 5 minutes. And it's running extremely hot

Stat took all but 10 minutes
Oil is BLACK so much for complete tune up d bag.

Attachments

• image.jpg

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Static timing shouldn't change Roy...that is fixed by the distributor location

Oil is done filter in stat in everything else it put back together need to jump it to see how it runs and charge up the battery

Oil pressure went up went back down to normal then went back up again. The temp gauge completely pinned out right after the truck ran for a sec but nothing was even hot. Then my exhaust was still rubbing on the drivelin climbed under there to wire it up and start looking around and realize its not even hooked to the exhaust manifold. Guess I know what I'll be doing tonight

Could be the big panel on the otherwise of the gauge cluster I can't remember what it calle but both of my other trucks had bad ones

This truck is kinda beginning to poss me off. Got the exhaust bolted back on an now it's running worse and is still hotter than it should be. If a carb kit and air filter aren't enough idk what else to do

gsxr1238

Be fast.....or be last.
Kind of late to the party, but you have some good advice to start with on your oil pressure and overheating issues. Install both a mechanical water temperature and oil pressure gauge. The stock gauges are not much better than the old idiot lights. If you do that you will have some reliable numbers and information to work with. Don't know how long you have had your truck. Do you know any of the history of it? If the engine performance is worse since you connected the head pipes(low power & overheat), see if the exhaust system is collapsed or plugged.(Muffler) There are more ways to troubleshoot your problems, but you need reliable information first.

There isn't mufflers. One rusted of so they cut the other off they were halfway through changing the exhaust out that's why it was off on one side I got it back together after fighting for a half hour with it. Supposedly there was a lot done to the engine but I'm not seein it. I mean it fires right up will idle fine once it warms up properly. Idk if the choke works at all but it's open when the truck is running. It did seen to heat up a little more when I reconnected the pipe but its basically a 4 foot straight pipe.
Have had the truck a day short of two weeks.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts