Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Overflow tank for radiator

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I was lookin around on broco graveyard and saw a overflow tank for our trucks for 15 bucks. It dont have a picture but it says it comes witha braket too. My radiator is always pissin out of the overflow even with a 16 lb cap so I gotta get some kind of a tank on there. Have any of you guys bought one or seen one that was on a truck?

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
I have an aftermarket overflow on my truck. It works pretty well--I've never had anything come out of the cap. Of course, I now have a small leak in the top of the radiator so I get a few drops out of that now and then.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Could somebody either post a picture or a description of how/where these things attach to the radiator?

I've been trying to talk a buddy into fabbing one up for his Model A...not positive the systems are the same, but guessing they're similar.

ford made a ww fluid-coolant recovery tank combo.

they went in e-series units.

i'm putting one in my pu soon.

You outta be careful with that 16 lbs cap, you could have something burst with that much pressure. Why does it build so much pressure? Reason I ask is im a radiator guy.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Dont know its a Super Cooler so it takes a ton of antifreeze and we figured it was buildin up enough pressure to let it out of the over flow so we got a heavier cap but it aint doin the job.

If that is constantly spewing chances are you are filling it too full

It should be filled to 1" below the inside cap sealing ring......no higher

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
I agree with Dennis. It'll spew out for a while after you fill it, then it should find an operating level that it will stay at...

And IIRC, it's s'posed to have a 13 lb cap.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Its about an inch or two above the top of the cores so its a little low. It does it sometime during the night and its not right after I shut it off. It did the same with a 13 lb cap as it does with the 16 lb its also a brand new radiator. Would a more powerful than stock water pump do this?

measure down from the inner rim ........not up from the tubes

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
I had gotten my coolant recovery tank for my 78 F-150 out of a local wrecking yard, and windshield washer tank they both came out of a 78/79 F-250 but they were separate units, as well as a pair of sun visor anchor pins all for the paltry sum of $25. The washer tank was an O.E. Ford issue piece with a pump, and the pump actually worked!! The coolant recovery tank was a GM style piece that some one put in the other Ford that was the donor truck, in light of the coolant recovery tank being a GM unit, it dropped right in to place on my truck to the left of the radiator, and the tank was a short one for that's all I had room for, because there was an A/C line running through that area I had used an old hot rodder theory that states that anything will go into anything.

Ford Truck Articles