Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Over used 6.0

blacksnapon

Staff member
I've been working on an 06 F350 with a 6.0 thats had a hard life. It was towed in (overheating, loss of coolant, and intermittent no start). Big wide tires, straight pipe (no cat, no muffler) AFE aftermarket intake and filter, SCT badges on the sides (Honest sir, its stock). Tried to start, its hydro locked. I noticed it had a new starter. No coolant in the degas bottle, oil thick as molasses. Pulled all of the glow plugs then cranked (shot muddy water 10 feet). Compression test, any where from 90 to 550. #2 constantly shooting water out of the glow plug hole. Insert the compression tester, and it comes out the intake. Pulled the intake, and the intake ports were level with coolant. Pressure tested the egr cooler, tests ok. FSE is leaning toward no warranty (44,000 miles).

I've been working on an 06 F350 with a 6.0 thats had a hard life. It was towed in (overheating, loss of coolant, and intermittent no start). Big wide tires, straight pipe (no cat, no muffler) AFE aftermarket intake and filter, SCT badges on the sides (Honest sir, its stock). Tried to start, its hydro locked. I noticed it had a new starter. No coolant in the degas bottle, oil thick as molasses. Pulled all of the glow plugs then cranked (shot muddy water 10 feet). Compression test, any where from 90 to 550. #2 constantly shooting water out of the glow plug hole. Insert the compression tester, and it comes out the intake. Pulled the intake, and the intake ports were level with coolant. Pressure tested the egr cooler, tests ok. FSE is leaning toward no warranty (44,000 miles).
Was it towed in from Osage Beach? Is it white?

Storm

Thats what happens when you don't know WTF your doing.. Or you got one of them rich daddies who buys you what ever you want.. LMAO

You'd love my truck Vince.. As hard as I beat that mother.. She's clean as a whistle :) After a few mishaps LOL

Kep4

Jäger
If a guy can afford the aftermarket,the why the freak not change the fluids and filters??

I was very clear with the Techs that worked on my 6.0 and they appreciated that. Don't BS your Technician!! Or your doctor, machinist, bartender, etc...

blacksnapon

Staff member
Just waiting on the customers response. If we go any farther in the teardown, the customer may be responsible for any charges from here.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Customer pay all the way. Gotta love people like that. Wheres the coolant coming from?
We did a pressure check on the egr cooler (tested ok). When you crank it with all the glow plugs out, it sprays water out of #2 hole. When you hook up the compression adapter in that hole, it sprays out of the intake. Yep, its hurt!

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
We did a pressure check on the egr cooler (tested ok). When you crank it with all the glow plugs out, it sprays water out of #2 hole. When you hook up the compression adapter in that hole, it sprays out of the intake. Yep, its hurt!

Sounds fun, i've been changing branch tubes lately!! 05-06 60k or less on them, blowing out the stc and bending the tube till it touches the rear cover!

Kep4

Jäger
Sounds fun, i've been changing branch tubes lately!! 05-06 60k or less on them, blowing out the stc and bending the tube till it touches the rear cover!
That makes for a hard start or no start condition? Do you fix those with the engine in?

d-kuzmen

Master Ford Tech
Connecticut
That makes for a hard start or no start condition? Do you fix those with the engine in?

Depends how bad it's blown out, if it comes all the way out it won't run, if it just pops out alittle it'll run, but usually won't start hot. Tranny comes out and gotta pull some rocker arms off. Sucks.... Unless it's a van, then the engine comes out!

Gunner

Charter Member
Billings
With it in that shape I'm suprised the engine didn't fall out in chunks

Gunner

blacksnapon

Staff member
The owner was in today, and we gave him the bad news (no warranty). He was understandably upset. Dude measured a foot between the eyes, so, I let the service manager talk to him because I am such a good employee.

Ford Truck Articles