Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Over my head

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Before spending a nickel on 1975/79 351M/400 heads, have them MAGNAFLUXED first.

These heads were very prone to cracking...which usually occured after the vehicles were out of Warranty (2 years/24,000 miles back then).

The cost to the customers to replace both heads, gaskets and etc and the labor added up to $700.00, which was a lotta money back then.

Thanks Bill.

Too bad you weren't closer Ben, I have all those specialty tools and experience changing valve seals with heads on.

I'm not so much worried about doing the work, I think I can handle it. I've had the heads off a couple times. I was more worried about creating more work for myself while doing the cam swap. But it looks like enough good enough was offered so I feel relatively confident nothing will go awry. Although I do need to get my hands on a spring compressor again. Thanks for the offer though Dennis, any time you're down this way and feel like tinkering on a rig...my garage is your garage.

woo wooooo !

Hi Paul.

Question...this is probably where I should paid a little more attention when my buddy helped me with the heads, when it comes to spring compressors, I know there are a few different variations and some work better for different situations. Is there one or a style anyone would suggest using with the head still on the block?

Yeah, I have and use this one, Its hard to find it online or at least for me :D

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Overhead-Valve-Compressor-Autocraft_9019987-P_N3491_T|GRP2083____

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah, I have and use this one, Its hard to find it online or at least for me :D

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Overhead-Valve-Compressor-Autocraft_9019987-P_N3491_T|GRP2083____

Thanks Joe...is that used kinda like a balancer/steeruing wheel puller?

Don't forget you will need to check lifter preload. Most all aftermarket cams have a different base circle making for a different push rod length or at least shimming the rocker stand a little.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Don't forget you will need to check lifter preload. Most all aftermarket cams have a different base circle making for a different push rod length or at least shimming the rocker stand a little.

I believe TMI said the DEH 255 is all plug and play, just take the old stuff out and put the new stuff in. But thanks for the tip.

Yep it is, the different ones are the extreme energy ones that have a smaller base circle to allow more lift...

You will need to check the new springs installed height. You may need to shim them. In extreme cases you might need to get the heads machined for spring seat cups to get them in at the right height.

Ford Truck Articles