Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

optimizing the fuel injection

1977 EXPLORER

Tennesee Chapter Member
Well,As a few of you guys know my 74 maverick has a harness and ECM from a 1990 E250 van.the bottom end ended up being a mustang or warranty replacment long block (TRW forged pistons) so im unsure if it has a truck roller ca or h.o mustang cam.A few weeks back I took it to the drag strip to see what it would run and was pretty dissapointed at the time it ran 10.05 @73 in first gear (2.79 gear) I have since put in a 3.80 gear and it feels better havent got back to the track yet but just feel like something may be holding it back.I did end up advancing the timing also from 10* base to 16* and feels alot better

mods

K&n panel filter
1-5/8 Long tube headers and 2.5 exhaust
EGR delete
Electric fan
platinum plugs (probly dont help lol)

motor
5.0 with forged pistons unknown stock roller cam
new timing chain,rings,bearings etc
Stock E7 heads
AOD trans stock van converter

After discussing this with a few friends would it be better to swap to a H.0 mustang ECM and to a car style intake? ive always been under the impression the truck intakes flow more air along with the larger t/b .Just more less want to see what you guys think would be the best route.

Im not looking for a race car out of it It gets real awesome milage right now 27-28mpg with mixed driving.But id at least like it run respectable for what it is and maintain decent milage.its not a real heavy car Id guess 2800-2900 lb range

Attachments

• DSCF4660.JPG
Last edited:

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
Go and find a Mustang set up ecu and cam to match . Will be more Rpm friendly .
Even go MAF as its sequential injection each injector separate , instead of batch injection 4 fire at time . I know from putting them on F series that u get better response .

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Should be a truck roller cam..the truck/van intake has smaller passages with longer runners for making the torque to get a heavy truck moving while the mustang type intake is more for horsepower (obviously). Seeing as you've got a light car I'd be thoroughly tempted to switch to the Mustang style intake. But remember, if you do that you'll need both the upper and lower as well as associated MAF harness and computer. That and the parts are readily available for heavy mods with that type.

WoW.. would have never thought that truck intake would fit under the hood of a car.

The truck intake is a pretty poor match to the 5.0 motor, the runners are way too big volume wise and it hurts TQ as a result. The 5.0HO intake is a better match to the stock heads but that's probably going to be the next thing upgraded so the Explorer intake is what you want. But before you get into all that your motor needs a cam upgrade, the stock bumpstick is really holding it back so if you can't find a stock HO cam pick up something like the Comp XE264HR that I have.. it really wakes this motor up without any other mods and will work with your existing EFI setup.

Here's a composite image of all three 5.0 intakes, left to right are the 5.0HO, Truck, and Explorer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/motorstuff/3440707772/in/set-72157603961666458/

Last edited:

1977 EXPLORER

Tennesee Chapter Member
WoW.. would have never thought that truck intake would fit under the hood of a car.

The truck intake is a pretty poor match to the 5.0 motor, the runners are way too big volume wise and it hurts TQ as a result. The 5.0HO intake is a better match to the stock heads but that's probably going to be the next thing upgraded so the Explorer intake is what you want. But before you get into all that your motor needs a cam upgrade, the stock bumpstick is really holding it back so if you can't find a stock HO cam pick up something like the Comp XE264HR that I have.. it really wakes this motor up without any other mods and will work with your existing EFI setup.

Here's a composite image of all three 5.0 intakes, left to right are the 5.0HO, Truck, and Explorer.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/motorstuff/3440707772/in/set-72157603961666458/

its is a tight fit

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts