Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Opinions please

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've been avoiding this path since I got the damn thing..the OL had a fit a couple of years ago when she got he *** kicked by a Toyota..I'm never going to hear the end of this.

At the power level you're going to be operating at Duncan, there's no reason for a CAI. The stock Donaldson filter flows plenty of air and holds a ton of dirt (well, 3 pounds or so :D) before it needs to be replaced. Far better filtration than the aftermarket stuff too.

Of course, if you just want one, that's a different story. You might look into S&B if that's the case.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
At the power level you're going to be operating at Duncan, there's no reason for a CAI. The stock Donaldson filter flows plenty of air and holds a ton of dirt (well, 3 pounds or so :D) before it needs to be replaced. Far better filtration than the aftermarket stuff too.

Of course, if you just want one, that's a different story. You might look into S&B if that's the case.

Thanks Steve, I was hoping you would chime in...regarding the exhaust, is it a good idea to leave the Cat in?...too much info to digest on the friggin web!

I can't really speak to that from experience since I don't have the choice of having one or not, but I've never heard of anybody having issues because they removed the Cat, and I know a lot of people who've done it. Some say there are benefits, like lower EGT's and better mileage. I believe the lower EGT's, but am skeptical of any mileage improvements.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I've heard of people who have said the turbo let go as there was not enough back pressure, I find that hard to believe...but I'm not well versed on diesels at all.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Thanks for your input.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Why?..I've been using K&N for years including the Harley's with no issues..is there something I'm not aware of?
Edit...and thanks for the suggestions!

They flow more air, a ton more air with dirt in the airstream, it really does a nice job of sandblasting the cold side of the turbo.

FWIW, the stock donaldson filter can outflow what the 6.0 can use until you go to bigger injectors and bigger turbo wheels.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
No issues what so ever removing the cat. I pulled mine at 30k on my 05. I traded it in with just under a 100k on it. Never went in to the shop for turbo.

MBRP turbo back exhaust (the 6.0 downpipe is the worst restriction in the system) delete the egr, delete the egr cooler, stud it and put a tuner in it and your done.

blacksnapon

Staff member
Yeah, you'd be hard pressed to get something better than the stock filter. The only 6.0 that I've witnessed being outright denied warranty, was one that was sandblasted from an aftermarket filter. The FSE didn't care that it had a programmer. The exhaust is a different animal. One measurement that the pcm uses to figure boost is the EBP sensor. Change backpressure, change boost. The addition of a programmer may or may not alter ebp readings.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Looks like stock intake, no studs, egr deleted and an exhaust in the future. Should be picking it up tomorrow.

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
No one mentioned Banks??? Interesting!! Heard only good reviews about them. They have a true cold air intake routed to the outside just like the factory with a sealed airbox.It's very true Duncan that a lot of CAI that people put on actually flow less air than stock, and are subjected to more engine heat than the stock configuration which in turn actually decreases performance!! The K&N issue will never go away, seemed that they were the scapegoat for aftermarket intakes. Faulty Map sensors were blamed by the dealer mechanics on oil passing through the filter and reaching the fine wires in the mass air flow sensor. It's Very true that you must be very careful not to over oil these types of filters. Now many after market CAI come with "dry" filters. They do not flow ANY better than stock filters, so why do people go with a CAI, mostly for looks, unless it is truly taking in air from outside and not in the engine compartment.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'm well versed with the mechanics of CAI's..I was more looking for brand input, but given the factory one flows as well I will be sticking with it.
I got my first K&N to replace an Edelbrock Lynx....good grief that was a long time ago..:rofl: :rofl:

Beach66Bum

Top Poster Of Month
I'm well versed with the mechanics of CAI's..I was more looking for brand input, but given the factory one flows as well I will be sticking with it.
I got my first K&N to replace an Edelbrock Lynx....good grief that was a long time ago..:rofl: :rofl:

Hi Duncan, I guess I could have stopped when I mentioned Banks, lol.
But for the others reading the replies, it may have been some new info, there seems to be a lot of misinformation about CAI's.

:wavey:

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Good point Roy, I sometimes forget others are reading the thread!

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
As far as increasing the air density of cooler air, you could just do the zoodad mod for free and call it a day.

mrxlh

Oilfield Trash
Stigler, OK
Seeing as how you have a basement, a shop, a kitchen, a 400M, led's in a quad, to finish first, I guess the zoodad mod would be like 5 years away, so I can understand that. :suspicious:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts