Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

opinions on '95 F150

I'm going to look at a '95 F150 automatic , 302, longbox. I swore I wouldn't get a V8 or an automatic and now I may get both!

What are the pros and cons (hopefully mostly pros) of the truck? Are Ford automatics reliable? What's the reputation of the 302 in a '95? Anything I should be wary of ? Jim PS this is my 1st Ford .

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
The 302 was a long time staple in the Ford stable...so reliability is second to none. As always, just be sure to listen for any 'funky' sounds. However, It is my opinion, that the 302 in these fullsizes leaves much to be desired in the power department, but that can be cured with some add-ons or with the proper gearing. That aside, it's a good little engine that should give 15-18mpgs highway. As for the E4OD, probably one of Ford's best electronic trannies IMO. It's essentially based off the bulletproof C6, but is electronically controlled and has OD. It's been my experience that both the 302 and E4OD start showing symptoms of needing to be rebuilt around 225-250,000 miles. Hope that helps a little and good luck with checking out the truck.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
What they said. I'd also like to add that a 95 is a good year because it's one of the later years in that model and has most of the bugs worked out of the engine and trans. Should be sequential injection (as opposed to batch fire), a roller cam, and MIGHT even have mass air flow, but don't count on the MAF :p

Thanks Guys, That puts my mind at ease, I gotta drive 200 miles roundtrip to check it out, the owner told me it has highway3.55 gears, and he replaced the electonic hubs with manual units. It's either gonna be this truck or an '85 rough 4 speed 6 cyl. I think I should go with this one unless it's really junked up. Jim

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
3.55s aren't exactly highway gears, but they're a good ratio for nearly-stock sized tires with a 302. I expect with stock sized tires you'll get roughly 14-16mpg tops.

And the manual hubs are a DEFINITE plus. The stock auto hubs in these trucks are garbage.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I thought 3.55 was the lowest (numerically) available gear from the factory Chris? or was it lower for these year trucks?

As Chris pointed out, they've been doing gears that numerically low for a long time in 2wd's at least...not sure what the lowest was for 4x4's.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
The lowest was 4:10 in 95 highest 2:73 like Skan said .

I look at these truck weekly to get parts from . And this is most common comb . Followed but 300-6 5 spd

With 31's I get 15 + mpg in A 94 F150 302 MAf equipped 4X4 SC Long bed with that combo hauling 400+ lbs all time .
I Have only run only 302 for years

If u live in hills where Trans get kicked out of OD all time expect a rebuild around 140000 or less Thats the average of local trans shop .

Last edited:

Watchdog7

Guarding the Gates
302 is a good motor. E4OD is a good tranny. I hate automatics (I have one) but if it's a good truck then buy it.

a 95 302 will be MAF.. E4OD, meh, depends hit or miss if you ask me.. mines been nothing but problems lately, will be the seccond time its been rebuilt..

i do reccomend NOT doing a tranny flush, for some reason these trannys HATE having new fluid when there older, trust me, reason its being rebuilt the seccond time, which is why im driving a 99 S10..Chevy, yukkk

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
sounds like a good buy if the interior and paint/body are decent ...the 302 lives up to its reputation for a hellacious lil small block the e4od is a great tranny for a 302 ...a million times better than the aod..but thats a diff thread....and i think NeXtras was right on the maf for 95...did the 94 302 come w maf also? im doubtin it did

sounds like a good buy if the interior and paint/body are decent ...the 302 lives up to its reputation for a hellacious lil small block the e4od is a great tranny for a 302 ...a million times better than the aod..but thats a diff thread....and i think NeXtras was right on the maf for 95...did the 94 302 come w maf also? im doubtin it did

Mines a 94 with MAF.. 94 is the year they changed up the 302. Changed the firing order and such for fuel economy.. i believe the Firing Order matches the 351..

94 was actually the start of a bunch of things.. 3rd brake light, air bags, R134a (CFC Free A/C), new firing Order, etc...

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
a 95 302 will be MAF.. E4OD, meh, depends hit or miss if you ask me.. mines been nothing but problems lately, will be the seccond time its been rebuilt..

i do reccomend NOT doing a tranny flush, for some reason these trannys HATE having new fluid when there older, trust me, reason its being rebuilt the seccond time, which is why im driving a 99 S10..Chevy, yukkk

The mans ritgh about the e4od not liking new fluid . I did it more than once.

The mans ritgh about the e4od not liking new fluid . I did it more than once.

yehpp.. only the newer trannys can tolerate a fluid change..

im hoping a new pack and clutch kit will revive my tranny

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I got my trans used for 200 bucks, was supposedly rebult already. Shifts good, and I change fluid once a year. As a mechanic the rule is, if the trans has been flushed(with a machine) since new, it will always be fine if not beat(plowing in D/OD, towing the wrong way). If a trans has a unknown history its better to drop the pan and filter, and add new fluid. That way if the "GUNK" is holding the trans together then you wont disturb it. IMO the E4OD is a junk trans. My truck is on the 3rd unit already, the 2nd trans I broke something inside (cough cough getto rock crawlin) and it was making sounds in 1st gear, that soon spread to the rest.

From what I have seen personally Ford autos are garbage, and manuals are good. In Chevys case, manuals are garbage, autos are killer. Lol

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
yehpp.. only the newer trannys can tolerate a fluid change..

im hoping a new pack and clutch kit will revive my tranny

Your better off gettin a jasper reman, they correct most of the probs the factory trans has. We had huge class on jasper remans a while back.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts