Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Old Seat and Shoulder Belts

Do the belts and straps lose any of their strength after 36 years of wear and weather? Is there a way to test them? Don't want to find out the hard way.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I think it would depend on how much UV exposure, water etc. they have been exposed to...and I'm guessing that the only real way to test them would be destructive.
I'd guess that if they appear to be in good shape then for the most part they would do the job in an accident

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Those $$$$$$$s can find any excuse for fining someone

Good test is hold the belt upright, if it stands up on it's own like a raging chubby, get new ones. Just my opinion. I'm talkin' about the belts to be clear:suspicious:

Austin

FTF's #1 Knob Polisher
Cumming, GA
One thing to look at, like Duncan said, is UV exposure. Dry fibers are going to be much more brittle than newer ones. If the belts are stiff and dry, throw 'em out!

Manimal

California Chapter member
To get your fixed, check out seatbeltplanet.com
I need to send mine in and get them rewebbed as well.

or safetyrestore.com

Last edited:
Climbing belts, like those used by utility workers, have expiration dates. I suspect seat belts SHOULD have them.

Of course, a failed climbing belt can get you killed rather quickly. A failed seat belt is harmless until . . .

You make a good point. I think I'm in the market for some new belts!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts