Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Old School AM Radio

78F250

New Jersey Chapter member
I got an old radio for $5. I don't have a radio in the truck currently. So, to keep a stock look I was going to put this in. I don't drive the truck as a daily so the lack of stations is no biggie. The problem I ran into is it has a light blue wire with red stripe and 3 black wires. One which looks like an inline fuse wrapped in rubber pretty thick. If I touch the blue (power) and a black to a power source the light comes on. What wire goes where?

Fellro

Staff member
I don't recall any inline fuses on the factory radios that would look like that. Are you sure it isn't the antenna wire? Should have dash light hookup, power wire, (yellow if I recall)then the speaker wires. I think the blue may be the dash lights wire...

Fellro

Staff member
Two, one is ground, one would be + unless they chassis ground it...

woe is me ..that bad info above

please know:
blue/red is always instrument panel lighting
in your case..the radio light

black with yellow WITH THAT BIG BLACK THING ON IT (noise suppressor) is radio power

the other 2 go to the dash speaker

78RadioWiringInterior.jpg

Last edited:

Fellro

Staff member
I wasn't too far off, called the blue for lights, and yellow for power... that was straight from memory, and haven't touched one of them for several years.. I'm happy I remembered the colors...

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts