Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

old ford car parts wanted (long+pics)

Hello all,

This should probably be in the classifieds, but I cannot drive and strip a car that is somewhere half way across the country. I am asking the MO members first.

Maybe one of you knows of a local salvage yard that has really old cars in it?

Bill (BKW-Numberdummy) has been helping me work up a list of parts that I need in order to add power steering to my old truck. No...it was not an option on mine. Yes...I know there are quite a few modern kits to do it. I want to try to maintain a stock appearance (as though it was a factory option).

I seriously doubt anyone around here has the parts, but I am hoping you might know of a junk car somewhere that I can strip.

I will start with the power steering pump.

The Y-block actually had two pumps (eaton). One (smaller Y-blocks) started with the 900 series. The second started with the 1100 series.

I have yet to find one on ebay that they can identify the numbers anyway, so I do not think that is an issue. There are 4 different resivours on top. I do not care which one is found.

They were used in the cars from 54-63, so that is what I am looking for there.

Pics:

fe1f_12.jpg

fe79_12.jpg

fed2_12.jpg

The crankshaft pulley I need is from a larger truck with the Y-block. I believe from 54-64. I only need a single pulley. This is a pic of a triple one, but the middle is the same:

fdb2_1.jpg

pulley.jpg

Finally the front end steering parts. I need the whole thing from under a 54-60 ford car (obviously one that had power steering).

Here is the whole thing laid out:

8aa4_1.jpg

Here is the Ram end of the bracket:

8ce9_1.jpg

Here is the valve end of the bracket:

57ford3.jpg

I am watching ebay and have lost several items to the snipes (think that is what it is called) that bid high with like 3 seconds left.

We will see what I can find. I am patient (about this anyway:wavey: ) and will take what I can get a piece at a time.

Thanks for looking at this thread.

Brian

Last edited:
Hmm...no replies. I tried...

I have the pump, pulley, reservoir, and the main bracket here now (same type as shown in those pics). Might need to be rebuilt...can't really check it until it is hooked up.

I have the water pump bracket (that it bolts to) ordered as well as the weird bolt it uses.

I have a single (bolt on) crank shaft pulley ordered.

Now...I just need to find the under car stuff. I have a line on a later Galaxy, but it is not the same. I might grab it anyway if it is cheap enough. I might be able to adapt it (maybe) or use some of the parts at least.

Keep your eyes open for the 54-60 junk ford, mercury, or maybe even Edsel sitting in a field somewhere.

Too bad I didn't know about this in April as swap meets are plentiful here in Alberta.

I'll check with a few guys I know for you.

I used to have a spare cast iron pulley PS pump for my 64 1/2 Mustang

Hang in there for a little while.

I do not need the pump pulley now. I have one on the pump. The 64 1/2 pulley might be the same, but the pump is different. 63 was the last year the Y-block was in the cars with the old style eaton pumps.

I am patient. Being broke and owing thousands in medical bills keeps me from going nuts.

The stuff I have bought and ordered is going on the credit card for now. By shoping around and gettting some bargains (tips from the t-bird guys) I have not spent very much so far.

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
Grrrr...!!

I do not need the pump pulley now. I have one on the pump. The 64 1/2 pulley might be the same, but the pump is different. No, it is not!

63 was the last year the Y-block was in the cars with the old style eaton pumps. So what! The same Eaton pump that was used on Y blocks was also used on 144/170/200/215 & 223 6 bangers, 221/260/289's thru 8/22/64!
Eaton pumps were used thru 1964 on everything Ford made. And...on 1965 Mustangs assembled prior to 8/23/64, the so-called 1964 1/2's.

The same Eaton pump used on Y blocks was used on these early 6 or V8 Mustangs = 900-3A674, or 900-3A674-AC (used with A/C).

900 pumps were also used on all the 6 cylinders, every last one of them, but...

It doesn't matter whether it's 900, or 900-AC, because one Eaton pump will work in place of another. This includes 1100-3A674 or 1100-3A674-AC, which were used on other than Y blocks and 6 bangers.

The Eaton P/S pump seal kit fits all the Eaton pumps, 1953/64 and early 1965 Mustangs: C2SZ-3B584-A.

This C2SZ kit is obsolete, but a quick internet search turned up dozens of originals. For example, you can whiz on over to Heber Springs (AR) Ford, they still have one in stock.

The P/S control valve seal kit, the control valve stud kit, the P/S ram cylinder seal kit, the P/S ram mount and bushing kit....all these kits are the same for every 1953/60 Ford Passenger Car & T-Bird.

When ypu are ready to get these kits, I'll post all the part numbers and find the kits for you.

btw: From 1961 thru 1964 and '65 early Mustangs, these control valve & ram kits are not the same, because Ford changed the control valve and the ram in 1961.

Last edited:
I have an eaton pump (in a box) in the explorer now. It has the "top" with the raised spout (like the pic above) to avoid the spills like you suggested.

I have seen the rebuild kits offered, but have not really looked that close for one yet. The pump just came in today.

HS, AR is 2 1/2 hours from here through some really bad roads. I had just bought my 89 ranger new.....when I was down there last. Ordering from there would not be bad...if I can get someone to call from here and do it.

NAPA carries the rebuilt pumps, but $$$$$

One thing at a time. I can't afford to run the CC up too much at once.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts