Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Okay to run 31x10.5's?

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Just got a great deal on four Dominator (made by Cooper Tire) 31x10,5x15LT's. Replacing Goodyear Wrangler 28x9.5's. My question is, will these larger tires bog down my '94 stock 302...what with only 185 ponies. I'm thinking that might be too much tire. Haven't run the truck with 'em yet. I don't off-road with it.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
It would be like reducing your rear axle ratio around 10%...so it will drop the rpm's at any given speed and also offer a little more rolling resistance.
Your towing and acceleration will suffer somewhat..really depends on your driving style.

Lost

PA Chapter leader
central PA
they came stock with them . Wont notice much difference.I run them on most all my trucks The 302 trucks had 3:55 rears and can cope fine. Currently I have 302 4x4 3:55 rears truck one with 235's reg cab and one with 31's sc long bed . Hardly any difference. Good luck

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
Thanks for the info, Token...for a Cannuck, you're alright!! :beer: Just a bit of Detroit-style trash-talkin'. I appreciate you're detailed reply. Thanks also to you, Loser, that's good info to know. Uhm, Loser. it kinda feels strange using the words "thanks" and "Loser" in the same sentence when its meant in a good way.

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
they came stock with them . Wont notice much difference.I run them on most all my trucks The 302 trucks had 3:55 rears and can cope fine. Currently I have 302 4x4 3:55 rears truck one with 235's reg cab and one with 31's sc long bed . Hardly any difference. Good luck

smilieIagree Our '95 runs 31's with the same setup, no issues. But don't go any larger.

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I had no troubles with my 265/70/15's on my 1994. If you're concerned about tire rub, you're good with 31's no matter what truck, any configuration. When you go to 33", you need a 4x4 setup to fit them in properly, but there may be a little rub on the radius arm.

As far as gas mileage goes, I'd worry more about rear end gear ratio. If you have 3.55's or higher, I don't think 33's would be a BIG problem. If lower, like the guys said above, I wouldn't go past 31.

Ryan

isnt there a thing where every inch or somthing per tire size it drops your horse power by so much, i dont know i thought i heard somthing like that. screw it drop a 460 in it and call it good! :)

David1357

'94 F150 5.0
With the '94 302 rated for 14/19 mpg, I couldn't afford much less HP to turn those bigger ones! Shoot, I get 17/24 from my Lincoln Town Car with its 4.6

Ford Truck Articles