Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

ok im stumped

when i got my truck it had alot of electrical problems i fixed all but one. my temp gauge and alt gauge and right turn signal indicater lights dont work. all the components work. i replaced the bulbs and sockets i replaced the circut board. i replaced the steering colum to get a good turn signal switch.got a good deal on a nice colum.what else could be causing my problem?:headbang:

You gonna have to explain what exactly you have and don't have ?
Specifics !

sorry 76 f150. the gauge lights and turn signal indicator light dont work on the dash. on the right side. the gauges and turn signals work i just cant see them at night. i replaced the bulbs headlight switch, steering colum and turnsignal swithch and the circurt board on the gauge cluster with out fixn the problem. i dont know what else beside some thing i think is a voltage regulator on the back of the gauges to fix the problem

The IC voltage regulator is for all the gauges EXCEPT the Ammeter

The ammeter current is shunted by the resistance wire in the harness

The ammeter not working is a common thing..and when they do work, unless the battery is very low in charge you can barely see it work.

You have to watch closely for movement to the Discharge side while you turn headlughts/wipers/heater on

The ICVR can be tested under the hood at the Temp sending unit
see the video below

Cluster lighting ! Have you trurned the headlight switch knob to MAXIMUM illumination ?
Have you considered swapping in the New LED bulbs from www.hipoparts.com ?

Huge difference in illumination

Indicator lights. sounds like you may have bulb issues #194

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
Dennis,
You mean the gas gauge should not be working if the IC regulator is out? You may remember I just purchased one because Burt's Temp and charging gauges are not working.. but the fuel gauges are.. Do I have another problem? Sorry for the hijack! If necessary I'll start another thread...
Dak

The ICVR provides a pulsing 5 volts of power to the all gauges / warning lights except the ammeter or charge light

The most common problem with gas gauges malfunctioning is the signal wire to the sending unit or a bad ground because of corrosion

dakonthemountain

The ICVR provides a pulsing 5 volts of power to the all gauges / warning lights except the ammeter or charge light

The most common problem with gas gauges malfunctioning is the signal wire to the sending unit or a bad ground because of corrosion

You misread my post Dennis... My gas gauge IS working, that is my confusion. The charging and temp gauges are not... My question was should the gas gauge ALSO NOT be working if its the IVCR?... From my interpreting this it appears I have a problem other than the IVCR.. (which of course I have already purchased! )
Thanks!
Dak

Yes... if the gas gauge works then the other should as well unless there is problem with the gauge or the wiring to the S/U or the S/U is not grounding out.

Just put a test light on those other Sending unit wires to see if you have a pulsing current.

hey dakonthemountain did you figure out your problem? i found mine my new bulb sockets were sh@#. new sockets no problem. all my lights work

dakonthemountain

Hey Old Blue, It's not the lights. They all work fine and I replaced my cluster a couple years ago so that's all good. It's the charging gauge and Temp gauge. I haven't actually done anything about it yet but will take Dennis' advice and do the test before I tear into the dash to replace the gauges!
I'll post (someday! ) when I do that. I'm not really going to be driving Burt much more this year. I'm getting ready to put him back in the garage for the winter pretty soon...
Dak

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts