Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Oil pan leaks

Has anyone done any repair work on the old Ford pans, with the dip stick boss that is riveted to the side? I'm working on a 400 out of my 77 F250 4x4. Its leaking from that area. Its not the tube or ferrel/oring. Im specifically wondering if anyone has removed the rivets and resealed it. I did something to a 302 pan 25 years ago like this but was wondering if a repair kit is made, or if Ford has ever addressed this issue. Not going to epoxy it.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
I have experience with that, but no answer.('78 with 400 motor) I did look for some kind of a kit to solve that problem. I replaced the dipstick tube, but the tube still weeps oil. It doesn't leave any oil on the ground, but the bottom of the oil pan gets wet. If I remember right, that is a metal to metal seal?

I have decided a new oil pan is the answer, but I haven't replaced it yet.

Have you found a place for a new pan? Seems like all I can find are pans for cars. Thinking a junk yard pan will have the same issue.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
The only pans I found were aftermarket(Milodon) for $300 - 400. Then you also need the
Milodon dipstick and tube so the reading is correct.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts