Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

oil and transmission question

FordBoy86

Kentucky Chapter member
how many quarts does everyone use on their 351 windsor? mine is a 94. also do you use the fl1a or fl820s motorcraft filter? and what weight oil do you use? also my trans is leaking fluid from that wrong gasket looking thing on the bottom of the trans where it meets the motor any thoughts?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Should take 5-6 quarts. Use the FL820s if you have the factory oil cooler, else use the FL1A. I use 10w30 in my truck but it depends on your climate. And it sounds like it might be your rear main seal leaking.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Look at where your oil filter attaches to your block, if there is a plate screwed there with 2 small coolant lines coming into it, then you've got the oil cooler. My guess is, you don't have it. Mine is the only damned gen 9 truck that I've ever seen that has it 'smiliedoh'

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Your's and Lightnings have the oil cooler usually, Chris you've got a pic to show him what the installed oil cooler looks like don't ya? x2 on the rear main seal leak.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Actually I might have a pic from when I did my sag pump swap...

Bingo!

DSC019251024x768.jpg

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
That better not be a picture of MY truck 'toetap' , there's more of a oil spill there than on the hull of the Exxon Valdez!!! 'smiliedoh'
That's the ATF that came gushing out of the return line when I disconnected it from the old PS pump. It has since been cleaned up (for the most part). Quitcher bitchen old man! :flipoff:

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I would check the puddle it leaves where the leak is. If its black or kinda black then its the motor (could be the rear main, the intake, or the valve covers drippin down. If its red then its the tranny.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts