Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

OH EMM GEE!!! 2011 Engine Line-Up released

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
IMO, if you can't tell...I think the dentsides are by far the sexiest truck ever put on the street, couple that with the ease of working on them. I don't think I'll ever own a truck newer than 96 for personal use unless it's given to me.

I love my 80,and the 7th-9th gens,but I have to agree with you 100%.I tend to fall more for the Single Cab Longbed Tu Tone dentsides,especially with the race track trim.But they're all still better looking than half the girls i've been with.

My dad used to have a 79 F350 Single Cab Longbed 4x4 351M? that was Black w/Red Tu Tone and had the racetrack trim.I would do anything to have a truck just like it,only with a silver stripe instead of Red.I wish I had pics,it was the best truck he ever owned.He sold it and bought a Corsica.A few months later the kid that bought it made a repair on the steering,which failed since the kid rigged it, and caused him to wreck the truck,which ultimately destroyed it.:(

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house

polarbear

just growing older not up
Boring, Oregon
Dear Paul,

360 is waaaaaaay worse than a 351M. 390=400.

<3 Ben

Yep- that one was the dog of the bunch, wasn't it? Not a lot of power, horrible fuel mileage... but hey, at least it was durable.

I'm torn on Ford's new powertrain offerings. I think the new fuel mileage standards played a lot of influence in the positioning and choices.

A good chain won't stretch that bad... And they transfer less Harmonics to the cam and valve train....

When was the last time you saw a PRO Builder use a Gear drive setup?????

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Gear drives suck...

Go chain...

Agreed...do the 300's have that nasty a$$ 'whine' to go with it too?

Chains stretch out and get loose.Loose things aren't that fun.

Paul,I hope you're joking,but if not,yes,they are all gear to gear.

FWIW...I had the original timing set in the 351M in the Bronco when I junked it. PO was a ford parts guy and the only owner and the engine only had about 126k on the clock when I bought it. 30 years of use doesn't sound too bad to me. What's the avg life/mile expectancy of a gear drive (I really dunno)?

For the record...I didn't know all 300's were gear drive until a couple weeks ago.

Yep- that one was the dog of the bunch, wasn't it? Not a lot of power, horrible fuel mileage... but hey, at least it was durable.

I'm right there with you Ernie. There didn't really seem to be any middle ground...you could either go with the rocket option or the slower than dog $hit option. And you're right about the mpg's too...I don't think I've had a truck from that era yet, that has gotten better than 14mpg's.

A good chain won't stretch that bad... And they transfer less Harmonics to the cam and valve train....

When was the last time you saw a PRO Builder use a Gear drive setup?????

Winnah...

Tow Ratings:
3.7: 6,100
3.5 Eco Boost: 11,300
5.0: 9,800
6.2: 11,300

That seems a tad backward to me.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Agreed...do the 300's have that nasty a$$ 'whine' to go with it too?What's the avg life/mile expectancy of a gear drive (I really dunno)?

I have never heard a 300 with any kind of abnormal whine.If you neglect any engine,they'll all whine.Mine honestly runs pretty rough,so any whining is overshadowed.

I don't know for sure either,but I've heard(can't prove though) of unopened 300,000 mile 4.9's,which would mean that if the reports are true,gear drive setups can last quite awhile.As far as I know,the front of my 4.9 hasn't been pulled apart(Again,I can NOT verify that),and it's got over 189,000 on it.Dad's 302 timing gears and chain crapped out at 150,000 miles.My buddy was putting a new timing cover on his truck the other day,and neglected to check the chain while the cover was off.I checked for play,and the chain was obviously stretched out.It's only got 120,000.I'm surprised the truck even starts.

From what i've seen(Which isn't that much),there's not a big difference between gear drive,and Chain/Gear setups as far as longevity and strength is concerned.I am waiting til I get more experience in it before I will legitimately say one is better than the other.

And it needs to be left at that.This is the 12th gen forum,so we need to get it back on topic with new technology,not old.Is Ford still using the 12 foot chains from the cam gears to the crank gears on the new engines?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts