Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Off-Road Lights...

I have a 1994 Ford F-250 and I am wanting to put off-road driving lights on it. I have the lights. But I dont know where to mount them. I was thinking about behind the grille but my dad and I were talking and he says they could possibly melt the grille. I think it would look really good; but I also don't want to melt it. Any ideas?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Welcome to the forum HicktownGirl! :wavey:

Can you post some pictures of the lights and also your front end? If you've got the Eddie Bauer/Powerstroke bumper with the cutouts then you can mount rectangular lights in the cutouts. If not, I've also seen people drill the top surface of the front bumper and mount them there. Depends on whether or not you're comfortable drilling the bumper.

If you don't have the plastic trim under your bumper then you can also mount them there, like my brother's setup:

DSC00357.jpg

You could also get a light bar. A good example of this would be Mike's bronco:

vbfg.jpg

Or if you wanna go all out you can get a custom front bumper like Ricks:

photo0029.jpg

Thanks!
I like the idea about under the bumper like that; thats such a neat idea! :]
I thought about the mountin to the bumper on the top but i really would rather not have it rust on the top.
My bumper has holes already in the bottom that I could mount them to like your brothers.
THANK YOU SO MUCH.
And yes I will get some pictures up of it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Only problem I can think of with mounting them under the bumper is...if your really do any kind of four wheeling, those lights will be seriously exposed, making them easily broken, filled with mud/water, etc. If it were me, and I didn't feel like springing for a new custom bumper...I'd highly consider drilling the bumper and putting them on top, and just be sure to seal it really well. That would be the cheapest route. I like the idea of Mike's setup...not really the design, but I'd prefer using a style more like this:

Leestruck.jpg

That's Lee's truck...and I think a bull/push bar looks really good and lights make it even cooler looking and more functional.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Good point Ben. For a pavement pounder the under-bumper mounting works great. My brother hasn't had any problems with his, but he only uses his 4wd on muddy job sites (he works construction) and light snow when going to Tahoe-- nothing deep. For heavy stuff--- deep mud/snow/etc, under-bumper mounting is probably not the optimal setup.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Welcome to the site! Carr also makes cool lightbars that mount on the roof and hook to the rain drip rail but a headache bar on the bed would be a good place for some lights too.....

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Or ya could do like I did and get a roll bar for the bed and put em there. BTW welcome to the site.

I ran the wires down through the pipe of the roll bar on the drivers side and then drilled a 3/4 hole in the bed and cab then ran two switches for em.

Last edited:
Thanks so much guys! :D
Y'all have been a lot of help. We figured out what will work with the bumper I have now and combining some ideas!
I will get pics up when we get it finished in the next couple days!!

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
I look forward to seeing them. I actually saw someone knock off the under-bumper lights merely by going over a curb. It wasn't a lifted truck or anything, but they were still destroyed.

Ryan

Michigan
my bar i like. I wanted to go with the prerunner style. Only complaint is these bars rust easy (I herculined mine) and its not a very sturdy bar, lights bounced around a bit..

Look forward to see what u go with.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Be like me, Light Bar on the roof.
1995FordF-350FR.jpg

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
Only problem I can think of with mounting them under the bumper is...if your really do any kind of four wheeling, those lights will be seriously exposed, making them easily broken, filled with mud/water, etc. If it were me, and I didn't feel like springing for a new custom bumper...I'd highly consider drilling the bumper and putting them on top, and just be sure to seal it really well. That would be the cheapest route. I like the idea of Mike's setup...not really the design, but I'd prefer using a style more like this:

Leestruck.jpg

That's Lee's truck...and I think a bull/push bar looks really good and lights make it even cooler looking and more functional.

yep at one point i had some mounted in one of the plastic shroud holes. i went wheeling, and i havent seen them since.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts