Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

OEM ball joints

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
okay fellas, whats your opinions on using OEM ball joints with 8" lift (not including the 3 inch body) and 35 inch tires (33.5 od) ? i know some guys that used them for daily driving and some off road abuse and never had it break or wear unusually but never specifically for off road abuse. except my brother when he used it with 11" of pure suspension and 39.5 swampers on his '90 f150 long bed. im in need of replacing my passenger bottom one but might as well replace all 4 of them. TTB ball joints but any input for ball joints is all good with me.

blacksnapon

Staff member
nothing wrong with OEM.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I liked the spicer extremes...but now TRW and spicer did some sorta merge, so we'll see how they hold up when I get the newest set in the Bronco.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I got Moogs in my bronk with 33's and I run an 8ft plow. I wouldnt use OEM if they arnt greaseable. They will never last.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Also plan on doin your axle shaft u joints while your at it. And rotors if you need to, since you have it all off anyway, make sure to grease it all up good.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
Also plan on doin your axle shaft u joints while your at it. And rotors if you need to, since you have it all off anyway, make sure to grease it all up good.

yeah i actually am going to do the u joints, one is shot and the other is okay but might as well replace it since i have two on hand anyway.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Your only gonna be able to do the outer 2, the right side(passanger) has 2 u joints, but to do the 2nd one you have to pull the diff to get the c clip.

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
Your only gonna be able to do the outer 2, the right side(passanger) has 2 u joints, but to do the 2nd one you have to pull the diff to get the c clip.

yeah the outers are really the only ones i need to do i think i might check the inner i think its newish need to double check that

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
My inner is good on my bronk, 154k lol

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
the outer joints will wear at twice the rate of the inners..they handle more of the load {turning of the wheels side to side ect.}...however if your going through the motions to change them why not change the inner as well.this will also give the shaft proper alighnment & no weak links....just a suggestion...Bob

odogf150

YOUNG GUN
utah
the outer joints will wear at twice the rate of the inners..they handle more of the load {turning of the wheels side to side ect.}...however if your going through the motions to change them why not change the inner as well.this will also give the shaft proper alighnment & no weak links....just a suggestion...Bob

ha you answered a question i was going to ask! but yeah i noticed the outer joints always went while the inside joint held up i might as well replace it anyway, not a bad suggestion at all....

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts