Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Odd tranny trouble

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
I think its transmission trouble.
Just got my first Ford F250 5.8 3/4ton. Traded a Gold Wing motorcycle for it.
Here is the problem....
So far, as I have only driven it in town, when in the Drive position the motor losses power, meaning it cuts out. Still running, but cuts out. When I shifted into 2nd, the engine seemed fine. Has plenty of power. Didnt seem to be as bad after it warmed up a bit. I have not taken it out and really ran it yet.
From what the previous owner told me, he replaced the coil, fuel filter, air filter, cap and rotor, o2 sensor and another relay. I did turn off the Over Drive and that changed nothing. I check for worn or damaged wiring and vacuum lines.
Any ideas???

Fellro

Staff member
It could have to do with the electronics of the trans. If a wire got chafed, or the solenoid is shorting, it could cause issues. Not familiar with the wiring, but if they are relay controlled, it would be the relay that is the issue. It does seem to be related in some way to the electronics of the trans.

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
It is now doing it in second gear as well.. As soon as the engine is warmed up it runs fine. I'm going to go ahead and change the plugs and wires. See where that takes me. I also have something attached to the intake that is not connected with a hose. Have no idea what its for. I'll take pics of it and hopefully someone can tell me where it connects to... I cant find a spot for it.....

Fellro

Staff member
That is for the air injection system, emissions control.

Fellro

Staff member
It doesn't connect to anything, it is just a muffler to quiet the sound of air going into the system. It will not cause any drivabilty issues.

Fellro

Staff member
Have you plugged it into a scanner to find out if there are any codes? Also, the next question, since it is right at the changeover threshold, does it have a plug under the dash, or is it still under the hood? You can check sensor readings on the one under the dash. In either case, you really should see if there is any codes being set.

Fellro

Staff member
Ok, sounds like you have the old style plug, no live scan unfortunately. However, you can get code readers for $40 and find out what codes it has. By any chance is the check engine light on?

IAC shouldn't affect it at higher rpms... It is supposed to draw air in, then put it into the exhaust manifolds.

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
The check engine light did come on, but after I shut the engine off the light went out and has not come back on.
I'll look into finding a code reader after the first. Till then no $$.. :(

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
If you like to tinker with your truck, the yellow OBD I code reader is worth the money, they even throw in a handy book with all of the code meanings.

Ryan

oreilly's has the correct code reader for your truck...
or you can do the paperclip method like alvin posted..
There's one out there that only has a flashing light.
Actron brand I think?
Here's what I use, cost ~$25 and I've used it ~25 times already,
Equus 3145...
Equus3145.jpg

...thinking about going on a trip??
Pull out the reader. :)

This one tells you when to rev the engine on the KOEO-half of
the test etc.

Alvin in AZ

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
Thanks guys. I really appreciate it. I found someone in town with a code reader, finally.. Going to take it to him this afternoon and see what it has to say for itself.
I'm hoping that the code will tell me what is wrong with this truck. I have had several suggestions from many different people I have asked. If I followed them all I would have to do a top end rebuild, tranny replacement, new torq converter and new fuel tanks.... :headbang:

Hazzardousmat

1995 F250 5.8ltr
Got the codes pulled. One was o2 sensor and it was replaced. BUT it had two 4X4 codes there as well.. This is a two wheel drive truck.
Could a previous owner replace the computer with one from a 4WD and it be the cause of the cutting in and out? Maybe trying to downshift or upshift??
Is the E4-OD transmission computer controlled???
The shop I took it too, said he believed in is in the transmission. Said it could be a "pressure sensor" in the pan. Autozone said there was no such sensor. (Ford dealership was already closed)

Fellro

Staff member
E4OD's are completely controlled. (Electronic 4 speed Over Drive) Having worked at Auto Zone, I will translate for you... The part does not exist in the AZ database, so in the mind of the person you talked to, the part doesn't exist. There are plenty of that kind of issue... Likely dealer or trans shop is where you will find such.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts