Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Odd hand clutch

My buddy had an interesting idea yesterday. I've been contemplating swapping a stick into one a my trucks and said something about a hand clutch, he said he'd seen one where they ran a pull a cable up over the door frame kind of like a semi truck air horn pull cord.

I kind of like the idea but I'm not so sure about the practicality. I was curious if anyone's ever done or seen this?
Thoughts/opinions?

1993 F250 3k in the 460-my 1st truck
1973 K20 6" lift-bright future
1967 F250 2x4-diesel swap in its future

Fellro

Staff member
You need some kind of lever, there is no way you could pull it straight, too much resistance, not enough mechanical advantage. Also, clutch cables tend to be fairly think, minimum 1/8" or so, and that would be quite lengthy.

the trouble is , what are you going to hold the wheel with while one hand is on the clutch lever and one on the gear shift ....... before you say you'll hold it with your knee just think about changing up or down while travelling around a blind corner with an decreasing radius.
If you really want to do something different with the clutch what about a steering wheel mounted electric solenoid clutch arrangement modified with a "soft" spring clutch release.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts