Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

notice oil in turbo Help !

Hey guys whats going on ? Im having a bit of a problem with a truck I recently bought its a 1996 F350 7.3 4x4 it going on 294,000 miles as we speak . Well heres the problem I have noticed oil in and around the fire wall the valleys etc. I have cleaned and washed the engine down with gunk and cant seem to track down where its coming from . Today I noticed oil in the rubber boot that attaches to the turbo from the air intake the orange one . I took it apart so I could replace the pcv valve acting part that's attached to driver side valve cover and when doing so this is where I noticed oil in there . I would appreciate some help with this . Also when truck is on idle it seems as though the rpm will go up slightly almost not noticeable then it comes back down it doesn't always do it .smilieFordlogo

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey guys whats going on ? Im having a bit of a problem with a truck I recently bought its a 1996 F350 7.3 4x4 it going on 294,000 miles as we speak . Well heres the problem I have noticed oil in and around the fire wall the valleys etc. I have cleaned and washed the engine down with gunk and cant seem to track down where its coming from . Today I noticed oil in the rubber boot that attaches to the turbo from the air intake the orange one . I took it apart so I could replace the pcv valve acting part that's attached to driver side valve cover and when doing so this is where I noticed oil in there . I would appreciate some help with this . Also when truck is on idle it seems as though the rpm will go up slightly almost not noticeable then it comes back down it doesn't always do it .smilieFordlogo
A big help is ultra-violet dye that you can purchase at your parts store. They usually come in 1 ounce bottles, get three. Drive a while, then use an ultra-violet light to find your leak.

Fellro

Staff member
The CDR can let some oil though, might be as easy as giving it a good cleaning.That is actually something that needs to be done every so often that most do not know bout. Otherwise a new one can be had, but they aren't priced like a PCV...

Hey yawl want to say thanks for the reply and help for one never knew about the dye deal to help find them leaks will check that out . I also replaced the cdr or pcv lol yesterday bought it straing from ford it was $130 bucks and my orange rubber boot was broken when I took it out therefore ordered a revised kit its new from ford paid $100 came with clamps , boot in other words the entire hardware ill post pics soon just got it today and tomorrow ill put it on and snap a pic for yawl . hey guys what about my idling deal rpm goes up slightly at times and back down what yawl think:headbang:

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey yawl want to say thanks for the reply and help for one never knew about the dye deal to help find them leaks will check that out . I also replaced the cdr or pcv lol yesterday bought it straing from ford it was $130 bucks and my orange rubber boot was broken when I took it out therefore ordered a revised kit its new from ford paid $100 came with clamps , boot in other words the entire hardware ill post pics soon just got it today and tomorrow ill put it on and snap a pic for yawl . hey guys what about my idling deal rpm goes up slightly at times and back down what yawl think:headbang:
If I was to take a stab at it, I'd start with the ICP sensor (top front of the left cyl head).

Hey blacksnapon thanks for the input and let me ask you this wouldn't you think the ICP sensor would just go bad rather then it start to fail or are you saying that the ICP sensor might be already gone and if so wouldn't it not allow truck to start ?

blacksnapon

Staff member
Hey blacksnapon thanks for the input and let me ask you this wouldn't you think the ICP sensor would just go bad rather then it start to fail or are you saying that the ICP sensor might be already gone and if so wouldn't it not allow truck to start ?
An ICP sensor can have different symptoms. ICP (high pressure engine oil) is an indicator to engine speed. Say the sensor is telling the pcm that the engine is surging, then the pcm adjusts the IPR to compensate. The IPR could also be faulty.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts