Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Nothing new, move along...

So my '90 gets bad gas mileage. Yeah I know its not gonna get great MPGs, being an automatic with a 351 and everything. But still. We're talking 9MPG or less with no load. Its even dipped into the low 7s more than once. Its not like I'm running it all poorly maintained or nothing either. The K&N filter is as clean as could be, its running on clean everything (oil, radiator fluid, trans fluid, you name it). So its certainly running well...

So what could be contributing to this H1-like mileage? Also, what are ya'll 8th gen 351/4spd. folks getting?

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
jeez... thats terrible mileage... my 351W, auto w/OD, 4.10 gears with me running the hell out of it is getting 11 around the city and 13 on the highway.

my question is what kind of performance upgrades does that 351W have? that could be a lil bit of the issue.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
A 90 will be OBD1, right? Pulled any codes? That could tell you alot right there. Because something definitely ain't right, I'm getting better mileage in all my rigs than you are.

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
I'll say, I'm getting over 8 with the big truck.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Geesh I get 16 city with my lil ole 302 and it's mild at that with a heavy foot behind it.....have you ever changed the fuel filter? What;s your timing set at cause that can make a BIG difference....

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
I'm not familiar enough with the engine controls on that rig to offer specifics...but I can tell you that the last time I had my '97 Ranger apart, I accidentally kinked the hose to the EVAP canister when I put it back together, and it drank gas worse than it ever has before for the tank or so before I figured out what I'd screwed up...

Little things that screw with the fuel/air mixture can make a pretty big difference on a computer-controlled rig.

Leading causes of bad fuel milage in order of significance.

- Fuel transfer problem on dual tank trucks.(You're litterally dumping half your fuel on the ground as you drive)
- Faulty fuel pressure regulator.(High pressure dumps fuel through the motor)
- Low odometer readings due to oversized tires and a speedo that hasn't been recalibrated.(even 31's make a big difference)
- Sensor problems that have gone unfixed because "the check engine light hasn't come on".(the light won't come on for every code)

godblessmud

CHECKERS OR WRECKERS
Moscow, ID
check your fuel filter first and try installing a secondary in line filter you can get at NAPA for 8 bucks

that being said my 302 got 9-10 turning 36x13.5's with 3.55 gears and a M5OD 5 speed

when i swapped the mild build 351 i got 4 mpg with same gears and a ZF5 speed

Leading causes of bad fuel milage in order of significance.

- Fuel transfer problem on dual tank trucks.(You're litterally dumping half your fuel on the ground as you drive)
- Faulty fuel pressure regulator.(High pressure dumps fuel through the motor)
- Low odometer readings due to oversized tires and a speedo that hasn't been recalibrated.(even 31's make a big difference)
- Sensor problems that have gone unfixed because "the check engine light hasn't come on".(the light won't come on for every code)

Maybe I'll check the codes first. Its not a dual tank truck, so thats out. Its got the 15 gallon tank so I expect frequent refills. But not this frequent, ya know?

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts