Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No Title

Well kind of an odd ball thing to post, but just gettin some feedback. Well when i bought my truck, it seemed as though the guy was legit, didnt seem shady, off the bat he said "there is no title but its in the mail coming from Olympia" The bill of sail is to be legit also his name mine, etc etc. But i texted him askin to see if he has it, and he has not replyed yet, i hope to god im not in the situation i think i maybe in, but im from Washington state, so if worse came to worse what should i do?

blacksnapon

Staff member
In Missouri, you can apply for a "Sheriffs title". Essentially, you're suing the owner for payment for work done. When the time is up, the "Sheriff" sells your truck on the courthouse steps, and you are the highest bidder. With that, you get a bill of sale, in which you can get a title.

Oh ok, yeah i may go give that a try. If not i will go visit this guy haha. But i think he is offical, i also heard you can take the bill of sale to the dmv and get a re-constructed title for $50.

Fellro

Staff member
Iowa does what they call a bond title, you put a bond against the vehicle, and if no one claims it in 10 years, the title is clear.

Best thing to do is talk to the DMV. As bad as it sounds, may want to check to be sure the vin is clear as well. I hear stories every so often of restored vehicles getting claimed by someone after it is all rebuilt, but had been stolen somewhere in its history.The owner then gets it back, the rebuilder is just out.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
When I lived in North Carolina, you could get a form and have the previous owner sign it and with that and your bill of sale DMV would give you the title. Worked on people who had honestly lost the title and were not tryin to screw you...

Yeah that does work a bit RidgeRunner thanks. i need to go take a trip down to the courthouse and get a replaced title like asap, i know im runnin illegal right now with no title or registration. Course laws vary state to state. But thanks guys!

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts