Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

No headlights

Guys.. where is the daytime running lights module located on my truck... 1990 F150? Suddenly I have running lights but no high or low beams.. nothing happens when the headlight switch is pulled out.

So far I have checked the fuses and verified 12v goes through the headlight switch to the floor dimmer, but I'm getting a weird low voltage on the load side of that switch so I'm think the module is to blame. There are 2 boxes under the center of the dash.. a black plastic one with 2 connectors on it and a metal one with a single connetor, either of these the right one?

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Paul I'm a bit confused... Your truck has daytime running lights? Or are you speaking about the parking lights? Because I definitely don't have daytime running lights in my truck, so I wouldn't have a clue about a module for said lights.

Let me look in my shop manual and I'll be back in a bit.

Guys.. where is the daytime running lights module located on my truck...
1990 F150? Suddenly I have running lights but no high or low beams..
nothing happens when the headlight switch is pulled out.

So far I have checked the fuses and verified 12v goes through the headlight
switch to the floor dimmer, but I'm getting a weird low voltage on the load
side of that switch so I'm think the module is to blame. There are 2 boxes
under the center of the dash.. a black plastic one with 2 connectors on it
and a metal one with a single connetor, either of these the right one?
Why wouldn't you think the floor switch is to blame? :)
BTFoundThat on other people's vehicles, twice so far.

--------------------

Anyway, the daytime running lights module is shown wired in here...
http://repairguide.autozone.com/zne...00c152/80/26/2f/8f/large/0900c15280262f8f.gif
...that might help you find it?

I don't know what the sorry sucker looks like, sorry. :/
If I had one and could find it, I'd wire the sissy SOB out of there! LOL :)

Is that a Canadian thing tho?
I'll get out there and see if any of my vehicles have one, if you want me to.

Alvin in AZ

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
Holy crap I just found this in the shop manual:

Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) System
The daytime running lamp system is designed to turn the high beam headlamps on, with a reduced light output, and without illuminating the high beam indicator lamp in the instrument panel (04320) when the following conditions exist:

The ignition switch lock cylinder (11582) is in the RUN position.
The parking brake is fully released.
The headlamp switch (11654) is in the OFF or PARK position.
Before performing any lighting systems test, check that the battery is fully charged, that battery connections are clean and tight, and that burned out fuses and bulbs have been replaced. The low beam headlamps should operate correctly. If not, refer to Section 17-01 . The daytime running lamp module is grounded through the low beam circuit while operating the high beam.

I DEFINITELY don't have that feature in my truck. Do everyone else's headlights turn on automatically like this?! Maybe my module is busted.

Paul-- here's a symptom chart to diagnose headlight problems:

headlampsymptomchart.jpg

Here's the info about the running lights module:

Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) Control Module
Removal

Remove screw retaining daytime running lamps control (15A272) to radiator support (16138).

Disconnect data link connector (14489).

Remove daytime running lamps control.

module.gif

modulecomponents.jpg

Granted-- that's out of my gen 9 manual but it might help for your gen 8.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Chris American Ford trucks do not normally have this feature. It is a Canadian Law that all cars and trucks have the Daytime driving lights.

Not trying to hijack...but that's interesting. I thought Paul had fallen off the rocker, coming in here talking about DTRL.

Skandocious

Post Whores Make Me Sick
California
True-- didn't think about more wear and tear on the lamps. I was just thinkin' it'd be nice not to have to worry about turning on my headlamps on 2-lane roads that require it.

Thanks for all the input guys. I found the DRL module as indicated and unplugged it and then I had no headlights at all which should not be the case according to the wiring diagrams. So I went back to the floor dimmer switch and turns out it was very intermittent on one setting and always open in the other, so I went out and got another for $8 and problem solved.

FWIW my truck does not seem to go through headlight bulbs any faster than any other vehicle I have had before or since, can't remember the last time I replaced a bulb actually. I also think having the headlights on all the time does improve visibility to other vehicles... particularly late in the year when the sun is lower in the sky.

KdPate

After Hours Garage
. I also think having the headlights on all the time does improve visibility to other vehicles... particularly late in the year when the sun is lower in the sky.

This.

Having at least the marker lights on in the evening when the sun goes down helps make a vehicle a tad more visible than normal, especially if it isa dark colored one.

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
Them floor switchs go bad all the time, get all water and dirt and whatnot in there.

Them floor switchs go bad all the time, get all water and dirt and whatnot in there.

Yeah.. mine wouldn't even switch when I took it off today.. seized solid. Crappy ford electrical stuff.. only lasted 20 years.. what a rip :rofl2:

95F350XL

Master Junk Tech
I wonder if the one is still OG in my 88 bronk. Prob replaced a few times. As long as I dont have to lol.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts