Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Newly bought '90 460 won't start--Help please

No dash or interior lights

Batt charger gets 30% but no more

Replace battery? How much will new batt cost? What brand?

Could alternator be defective?

Help guys. This truck started first time at least a dozen time for us since purchase this past week. Today, I hit starter and all lights went out.

What say you? Need your help please.

Jerry

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Loose connection at the battery maybe? Do you have a multimeter? Would be good to know what the actual battery voltage is. What happens now when you turn the key? Nothing at all?

Fellro

Staff member
Kinda what it sounds like to me as well, everything was fine then hit the key and all gone, generally dropped cable connection.

That sounds like a plan to me ,to check first!...smilieIagree

Make sure your cables aren't corroded were they connect to the clamp.
Clean the clamps & post.
An charge the batt. with the clamps off to insure the batt. gets the charge!

No start

Thanks guys

As you said, I disconnected both batt connections and cleaned posts and insides of clamps. Still no lights

Charger showed max 30% and this dropped with tine to 14%.

So, I think I might need new battery. What output (cranking amps?) should I get for 460 engine?

Tomorrow, before buying new batt, a friend (retired VW mechanic) has agreed to test batt output and alternator output.

Dome light comes on until I hit starter......Then, everything goes out including dash lights. Starter makes no noise at all.

Jerry

Fellro

Staff member
The lights until hit the key still tells me there is a connection issue somewhere. Might be the ring terminals at the starter relay.

Got it

You guys were right. Prob was batt connections. Sanded posts and connectors and tightened em really tight. All is well now. Used charger to recharge batt up to 100%. She fired right up.

Lesson learned--Check out the simple, easy stuff FIRST. Will I ever learn?

Thanks for your help

Jerry

You guys were right. Prob was batt connections. Sanded posts and connectors and tightened em really tight. All is well now. Used charger to recharge batt up to 100%. She fired right up.

Lesson learned--Check out the simple, easy stuff FIRST. Will I ever learn?

Thanks for your help

Jerry

If you have a bad humidity in your area the battery lead post tend to glaze
over faster as well which may require more frequent cleaning...:)

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
That battery terminal goop really does work.

Ryan

Fellro

Staff member
I use the dielectric grease commonly found at most home stores and hardware stores. Corrosion is a big issue here in the rust belt. I also use it for plug boots and other electrical connections.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
That battery terminal goop really does work.

Ryan

As do those fiber rings impregnated with a material that results in corrosion protection. Cheap to buy and easy to replace about once a year as a part of routine maintenance.

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
As do those fiber rings impregnated with a material that results in corrosion protection. Cheap to buy and easy to replace about once a year as a part of routine maintenance.

It is felt saturated with Sodium Bicarbonate(Baking Soda), which neutralizes battery acid. Available at all big box stores. Red for positive and green for negative.

Last edited:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts