Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

newbie needs help

ok so to start i have a 76 f250 4wd with a in cab tank and the cab is rusted beyond repair.
i have a 75 f150 2wd with a rear tank and driver side tank.

will the mounts for the body be any different and will i be able to use the rear gas tank or is it easy enough to modify the cab to accept the in cab tank.

I dont really understand what you're doing? lol are u wanting to swap the cab and bed off the 1/2 ton and put it on the 3/4 ton frame so u can use the frame gas tanks?

I see no reason why u could just put the holding brackets for the in cab tank in the other cab, should be same cabs.

Last edited:
So if I understand correctly, you're looking to put the '74 2WD cab onto the '76 4WD chassis?

The rear cab mounts for the 2WD are inboard of the frame rail, on a crossmember. The 4WD cab's rear mounts are outboard of the frame, on brackets riveted to the frame rail. To mount the 2WD cab on the 4WD chassis, you'll have to drill new holes in the cab floor to line up with the outer mounting brackets. It's not that big a deal...in fact I believe the cab floor is already dimpled where you'd need to drill.

The frame-rails on your 4WD are closer together than those of the 2WD, so the 2WD's rear fuel tank won't fit the 4WD chassis, and you can't use the side auxiliary tank from the 2WD (assuming it's a factory in-frame tank and not an aftermarket add-on attached to the outside of the frame) because it won't clear your 4WD's transfer case. I'm not sure about what would be involved with mounting the in-cab tank.

By all means, now is the time to get that fuel tank out from behind you in the cab. That has to be the most dangerous tank set up in the history of vehicles. The Chevy's may blow up but at least they were outside. Find a junk yard tank that will fit inbetween the frame rails.

Well, if we're talking about collision protection, the Ch*vy tanks did explode...because they were outside the frame rail and exposed! An under-bed in-frame factory main or auxiliary tank is still subject to possible puncture in a violent crash...but an in-cab tank will virtually never be damaged from a collision. It's definitely the safest place IMO. If you were involved in a crash that was serious enough to compromise the in-cab tank, you won't have to worry about a fire...'cause you'll already be dead!

However, having said that, the parts need to be in good shape. If any of the components (the filler neck grommet or tube, sending unit, vent/fuel lines) are dry, brittle and cracked, they'll allow gas fumes into the cab...which is definitely not something you want, especially if you like to 'light up' when you drive. ;)

i smoke tires not the drugs and does any one know what gas tank i can use if i stick the 75 2wd cab on my 76 4wd chassis cause the 76 cab is shot and i need a gas tank to run the truck

BuzzGun79

Nov.TOTM 2012 / 2012 TOTY
Well, if we're talking about collision protection, the Ch*vy tanks did explode...because they were outside the frame rail and exposed! An under-bed in-frame factory main or auxiliary tank is still subject to possible puncture in a violent crash...but an in-cab tank will virtually never be damaged from a collision. It's definitely the safest place IMO. If you were involved in a crash that was serious enough to compromise the in-cab tank, you won't have to worry about a fire...'cause you'll already be dead!

However, having said that, the parts need to be in good shape. If any of the components (the filler neck grommet or tube, sending unit, vent/fuel lines) are dry, brittle and cracked, they'll allow gas fumes into the cab...which is definitely not something you want, especially if you like to 'light up' when you drive.

i have to agree with what Keith said

lostinfords

New Jersey Chapter member
You can either adapt the in cab tank to your 2wd cab on the 4wd chassis...OR...look for a camper special rear fuel tank from a narrow frame 2wd ford truck, my 78 f350 2wd crew cab had that tank, I am certain there were other p/u's that had them...some guys ordered custom aft fuel tanks, others adapted the Bronco II fuel tanks to mount between the rear frame rails...simplicity says just re mount your in cab fuel tank and go on your way...good luck

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts