Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new truck shopping

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Thanks guys- not a done deal 'til the ink dries. (Like I said...I can wait. My rigs still run and drive fine.)

Congrats. Hard to go wrong with a Tacoma... they're the class leader in compact trucks since forever for a reason.
Yeah...I've really never heard a bad thing about them. And this configuration (crew cab, 5' bed) is actually what I wanted to buy ten years ago...Ford didn't build one and I couldn't afford the Toyota then...so I compared extended cab/6' box trucks and preferred the Ford.

I still prefer the Ford of a decade ago...but since Ford stopped building what I want, I stopped wanting Fords. At least the Tacoma is assembled in Texas!

Congrats! What engine did you go with?
It's got the 3.5 liter V6. The 3.5 got a lot of negative feedback in the forums when it replaced the 4.0 V6 a few years ago, but it looks like pretty much all of it was related to the programming of the 6-speed automatic transmission. Not like I had a choice if I wanted a new one- they actually dropped the manual from the base trims and 4-cylinder trucks a year or two ago.

Toyota make a good truck. Everyone that has them love them and the are dependable
Yeah, I talked to a couple of Tacoma-driving friends, who both said they'd absolutely buy another...one is very upfront that he's a carpenter not a mechanic and he'll pay people to fix his truck, while the other does ALL his own work. Both have older 4-cylinder trucks, and both kind of recommended the six, especially if I ever plan to pull anything.

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
My wife pulls absolutely nothing and had to have the 5.7 supercrew, trd, blah blah blah. It is a nice truck. She wanted the Sequoia, but we couldn't afford it.

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
Actually edit that she pulls away from every one in traffic [emoji1787][emoji1787]

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Dealer's still jerking me around...may still end up in a very similar truck, and soon, but they're not making me want to give them my money!

We'll see what transpires over the next few days.

SuperCab

Staff member
Montana
Dealer's still jerking me around...may still end up in a very similar truck, and soon, but they're not making me want to give them my money!

We'll see what transpires over the next few days.

Gotta love working with dealerships 'smiliedoh'

Hope you get everything ironed out to your satisfaction without too much of a fight

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Might actually end working out better...we’ll see.

I’m not desperate and I’m not an idiot...both of which give me a leg up in a transaction like this.

heavydoc

Instigator
Staff member
WNC
So much truth to that statement. When I bought my 02 back in 2016 I played extreme hardball with the dealer. They were asking 14,900 and after a few phones calls and emails I kept haggling them down and bought it for 9500 plus doc fees, which was 178[emoji2][emoji2]

Jax

New Ford Dieseler
I love my Tundra but I could not afford a new truck these days. These people are nuts! All the electronics and so-called "safety" stuff.

Jax

New Ford Dieseler

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Round two (different dealer, different truck- although not different enough to matter) seems to be going better. Deal's about the same, but it's more convenient and they're not treating me like a sucker- or at least, not as much.

Yeah, new stuff is crazy expensive, and so is nearly-new stuff. I'd given serious thought to a rust-free older truck ('nother Ranger) from elsewhere in the US, but that's a logistical headache under ordinary circumstances...so here we are. Hopefully taking delivery this week, but not sure yet.

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
Brought it home today...drives nice, for the few miles I've put on it. A little sad to see my old Ranger go, but it was time, and they offered me far more than I expected for it.

Attachments

• Tacoma - 1.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts