Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New truck: 79 1Ton 4x4

Hey all, just thought I'd post about my Craigslist score that I got last night. I bought a real '79 F350 4x4 for $400. Its rough, to say the least, and hasn't ran in a few years, but the frame is very nice (sandblasted and painted about 10 years ago), and it has a rebuilt 460 from a '72 Lincoln installed. It definitely has a D60 front, as evidenced by the big hubs and king-pinned spindles, but does anyone know what year axles these trucks came with? Sorry I don't have the VIN yet, I'll get it on Saturday when I go to pick up the truck. I know that it also large swaybars on front and rear, is this a camper package??

Plan is to build a pulling/mud truck using the rolling chassis as a starting point. I already have a nice cab that I planned to put on my '77, but now will be going on this truck, and I will probably use the rust-free bed from the '77 on this truck as well. The Lincoln 460/C6 will get pulled for a built '84 460/4spd that I already have, and I plan to lift it enough to clear the 36" Goodyears that I have.

Now for the pics: Warning, you may want to get a tetanus shot before viewing, and yes, it is as bad as it looks in the pics.

IMG_1936.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

IMG_1944.jpg

IMG_1947.jpg

SC
Very nice find for the money.

Well they only made 4wd F350s in 79. The kingpin front axle that is a direct bolt in for F250/350 was built in 78-79.

chuck101st

Springfield XD-9
Downs,IL.
Hell my daily driver is rustier than that.

Why is there a chevy in every one of those pictures...? :p

SC
The guy just bought a D60 for $400. Leave him alone.

countryboytn

'78 Bronco owner
Looks solid! Might need a new hood, but definitly looks fixable.

Always liked flat beds to!

Why is there a chevy in every one of those pictures...? :p

The pictures were taken by the previous owner since the truck is still sitting in his front yard. In his words, he says "I'm not a Ford guy..." Obviously, since I got a real 79 F350 for only $400...

Really, the worst part is the cab is shot. It doesn't show in the pics (since the truck is brown), but the cab corners have 2-3 inch holes in each side, both floor pans are falling through, and the rain gutters are starting to rust through. I even found a 2" hole rusted through the firewall. The good thing is that I have a really nice '79 cab sitting at home right now, and the doors on this truck are really nice. I also got a rust-free hood that my uncle gave me, and I have plenty of fenders laying around that will work. The southern bed off of my '77 will also go on this truck.

Btw, does anyone have any tips on reviving the finish on the old slotted aluminum wheels? I think they are really cool looking, and you just can't find them anymore, so I'd like to clean them up and polish them again.

Also, does anyone know what rear axle the '79 F350 4x4's came with? D60 or D70?

Its funny because there are two guys selling D60 fronts locally here on Craigslist, and both are asking $800 for just the axles. I bought one for half that, and got a free truck with it...

SC
D60 fronts go for 800-1000 and some even more.

The rear is a D60 unless something was swapped in and nothing special.

You got a hell of a deal. Nice work.

D60 fronts go for 800-1000 and some even more.

The rear is a D60 unless something was swapped in and nothing special.

You got a hell of a deal. Nice work.

Ok, I wasn't sure when they started the D70's, must have been the 80's. There is no indication that anyone has swapped the axles, looks to be original.

Also, this truck has large swaybars front and rear. Would this have a camper special package? Reason I figure that is because my '79 F250 2wd had the front and rear swaybars, and it is a camper special. The 2wd also had factory overload springs in the rear which this truck does not have.

You are one lucky guy, I'd kill to have that truck right now! Guy's are paying over $1000 for junkyard D60's!

:beer:

I did find it by luck, since it was only on Craigslist for about an hour, and I just happened to find it and sent them a message. I went right after work and bought it, and by the time I showed up they said there were 7 different emails and 2 phone calls with people wanting it, but I was the first email so they gave me first dibs...

SC
Not necessarily a camper special. Sway bars were an option.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts