Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New to forum, have some quick questions

Hi guys. I recently picked up an 86 F-350 4x4 srw. The truck has a 351w, C-6, & straight axles front & rear. What i'm trying to find out is how common these trucks are, what type of axles it has, what t-case it has or should have, & what axle ratios were the most common in these trucks. Thanks in advance.

Fordzilla80

Ranger Lariat
Narnia
Chances are the front axle is a D60. The rear axle could be a D60, or a Ford 10-1/4, or maybe even a D70. Is it a semi-floater or a full floater?

As for being common, what you have is a pretty common combo. The engine is a bit small for what they usually come with, but it could have been replaced before as well. These trucks don't really have much value, and they're one of the forgotten generations of F-Series truck.

You should have at least 3.73's in the rear, but count on something with a lower ratio such as 4.10's.

Thanks for the info. I believe the rear axle is a full floater, also think its the 10.25, because it looks a little different than the front. I wondered about how common they are because the 80-86 trucks arent very common around here & this is the first one ive seen w/a straight front axle that wasnt a duelie. I plan on fixing this truck up as i love the bullnoses & have always wanted one.

Fellro

Staff member
The rear likely is the 10.25 Sterling (Ford). If you have a fill plug in the diff cover, ti would be a Dana, otherwise, it is the Sterling. My understanding was that 87 brought the straight with the F350, but get proven wrong on those kind of stats from time to time. After that is all F350's get straight, duallie or not.

Thanks for the info guys. Im pretty sure its got a 60 in the front & a 10.25 in the rear. Im gonna do some diggin & figure out what gears its got but i gotta swap the motor, get the rest of driveline checked out & go through the brakes first. Trucks been sittin for a couple years & i actually just got it home today so now all the fun begins.

Welcome too the forum brottha.. I truly love these old fords and have learned a great deal working and driving them I hope that being part of the forum will help you and that your project is sucessfull one..

As Always

Dawg

primetime

sawmill slave
My understanding is that 86 was the first year for the D60 front straight axle. I`ve personally laid eyes on 4 or 5.

Rear axle should be a 10.25 Ford unless it`s been swapped with something else.

T-case should be a Borg-Warner 13-45 or 13-54 (I always get the two numbers confused. One was in the Rangers, one was in the F-series. It`ll sat on it).

Oh, and just to make you drool, the last 86 F-350 4x4 I looked at was a fire department truck with 54,000 miles, a 351 HO, 4-speed, 4.10s, and was beautiful, original. The price? $3800. I wanted it BAD! But it was that or mommas Explorer. (Guess which one we got)

That does make me drool. I REALLY WISH mine had a stick. I'm hoping to do a zf conversion down the road but for now it is what it is. I had my eye on the truck for about a year & a half & finally got the owner to let it go. I got it for $1400 w/plow.

Ford Truck Articles