Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New to building not owning.

Hey Ladies and Gentlemen. New to forum. Just had to let the city tow away my 79 f100 a few days ago. They don't like vehicles that are not running in town here in Florida, so they fine you. Had to let them have Vin numbers and tags to scrap the truck. I removed the Motor, front clip and bed to be used as donor parts on another truck in my garage. The problem is, the Donner in my garage has no identifying Vin plates or pillar stickers on the cab. The donner that I bought 6 years ago is a rolling chassis, no motor or front clip or bed. In the box of hardware I found Insurance papers with the Vin # from a 1979 F-100 truck. There is a bill of sale from this individual to another gentleman that matches these numbers. The trouble is, I found a metal Vin tag amongst the hardware that supports a F-150 4X4 1977. If I'm able, how do I tag the truck. As an 1977 or as a 79? I guess I could be screwed one way or the other. I Wanted just the cab when I showed to buy this truck. Ended up with a rolling chassis with a 4spd top loader to boot. Sorry for the long winded question.

Fellro

Staff member
Also, these years the cab did not have the vin, it is on the drivers door.

Big Jim F150

73-79 Ford Trucks Rock
Welcome to FTF! Check with your local DMV and also with your local police department, sheriff's department and state troopers or highway patrol, for they may be able to help you, and be a good source of information. You might have to get a salvage title, or see if you can get the title to your project, and also check for the VIN in the places that Felro had suggested, I'm inclined to agree with him on that. Good Luck and post some pics of this beast. smilieFordlogosmilieFordlogosmilieFordlogosmilieFordlogo

The frame vin is the proper vin to use as doors are a removable part.

There is also a stamping on the top of the PS frame rail under the cab.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts