Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New member, what's upppp

I've been told by more than one restoration expert that in a good economy you'll get back $.25-.30 for every $1 you invest and that DOESN'T include labor or your sweat equity.

My 79 - the parts receipts came to almost $30k then labor on top of that. My 77..... $5k into the motor build and $7k in paint.....receipts for that went into the $60's.

It adds up....

So if someone puts in $30-$40k on a rebuild. ..... $8-15k resale depending on economy and quality of the build.

Then is it a:

-Frame off nut and bolt restoration. (Both of mine were these.)

-Frame up restoration.

-Paint and body only (lots of builds like this).

Wow, I knew restoration wasn't a great investment by any means, but jeez! So finding one with as much work already done as possible is clearly the more economical route, by far.

60k into your 77!? That's wild. I had no clue that paint alone would cost as much as you paid. Money well spent though, both trucks look amazing.

Any sites you would recoment frequenting to look for one? So far I browse craigslist, ebay, and check www.rustfreeclassics.com daily.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Wow, I knew restoration wasn't a great investment by any means, but jeez! So finding one with as much work already done as possible is clearly the more economical route, by far.

60k into your 77!? That's wild. I had no clue that paint alone would cost as much as you paid. Money well spent though, both trucks look amazing.

Any sites you would recoment frequenting to look for one? So far I browse craigslist, ebay, and check www.rustfreeclassics.com daily.

You want to talk crazy numbers, pm Duncan......it can really add up and add up big time.

But restoring and flipping vehicles is a tough business to get in, but the write down numbers I talk of above are individuals that restore a vehicle and move on for one reason or another (bored, ready for new project, needs the money, etc.), not your classic, car flipper in the business.

Ebay and Craigslist will be your primary markets for looking for one of these baby's and if you do get a decent one like my two dents, plan on traveling a little and if the build is of decent quality, you should be able to drive it from anywhere. Over 4 years ago, I drove my 77 cross country from Washington State to Maine and found it on Ebay.

You want to talk crazy numbers, pm Duncan......it can really add up and add up big time.

But restoring and flipping vehicles is a tough business to get in, but the write down numbers I talk of above are individuals that restore a vehicle and move on for one reason or another (bored, ready for new project, needs the money, etc.), not your classic, car flipper in the business.

Ebay and Craigslist will be your primary markets for looking for one of these baby's and if you do get a decent one like my two dents, plan on traveling a little and if the build is of decent quality, you should be able to drive it from anywhere. Over 4 years ago, I drove my 77 cross country from Washington State to Maine and found it on Ebay.

I can only imagine how much he sunk into his if it blows yours out of the water! Wow...

That makes a lot of sense about the different margins for restored trucks, and explains why the few specialty custm shops I have looked at list them wayyyy higher than I have seen any private sellers ask for.

I guess I should expand my search area on craigslist then, but that makes sense. I have no problem traveling for an amazing truck, as long as work will let me lol.

You have definitely refined my search criteria by schooling me on how much I will save not doing all the restoration myself. I just wanted something "decent" to start with (well not wanted, but I'm sure you get the point). Now I definitely plan on holding out for something similarly restored to your 79. So thank you for quite possibly saving me a ton of cash.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I can only imagine how much he sunk into his if it blows yours out of the water! Wow...

That makes a lot of sense about the different margins for restored trucks, and explains why the few specialty custm shops I have looked at list them wayyyy higher than I have seen any private sellers ask for.

I guess I should expand my search area on craigslist then, but that makes sense. I have no problem traveling for an amazing truck, as long as work will let me lol.

You have definitely refined my search criteria by schooling me on how much I will save not doing all the restoration myself. I just wanted something "decent" to start with (well not wanted, but I'm sure you get the point). Now I definitely plan on holding out for something similarly restored to your 79. So thank you for quite possibly saving me a ton of cash.

NOT JUST CASH, BUT HEADACHE, FRUSTRATION, AND HEARTACHE......but some of the builds guys have done on this thread that I know have a deeper appreciation for their rigs because of the labor of love put into them, but for me, without a ton of tools and knowledge, it was more about the rig, then about the build, so I saved a ton of cash doing it the way I did.

And Duncan's dent (if he ever finishes it) will be in a museum when it's finished!

To search all of Craigslist (just because Craigslists limits searches by states and cities), use searchtempest.com.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
When a good one comes up, we put them here ever now and then also:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33961&page=83&highlight=dents+we+find

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16982&page=24&highlight=dents+we+find

So subscribe to this thread for possible ideas when we post.

And I can emphasize enough about the fellas on here helping you out with their infinite knowledge of seeing if a rig is truly a decent rig.....at first it will feel like their just jumping all over you, but truly, they are picking the rig apart as if they were looking to purchase it, so aside from personal preferences like color and tire size, you really need to take to heart their criticism.....the guys on here are truly great guys and now great friends of mine whom I highly respect.

NOT JUST CASH, BUT HEADACHE, FRUSTRATION, AND HEARTACHE......but some of the builds guys have done on this thread that I know have a deeper appreciation for their rigs because of the labor of love put into them, but for me, without a ton of tools and knowledge, it was more about the rig, then about the build, so I saved a ton of cash doing it the way I did.

And Duncan's dent (if he ever finishes it) will be in a museum when it's finished!

To search all of Craigslist (just because Craigslists limits searches by states and cities), use searchtempest.com.

When a good one comes up, we put them here ever now and then also:

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33961&page=83&highlight=dents+we+find

http://www.fordtruckfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16982&page=24&highlight=dents+we+find

So subscribe to this thread for possible ideas when we post.

And I can emphasize enough about the fellas on here helping you out with their infinite knowledge of seeing if a rig is truly a decent rig.....at first it will feel like their just jumping all over you, but truly, they are picking the rig apart as if they were looking to purchase it, so aside from personal preferences like color and tire size, you really need to take to heart their criticism.....the guys on here are truly great guys and now great friends of mine whom I highly respect.

I definitely believe you on the headache, heartache point! And ya, I have zero tools (save the basics every household should have on hand) and zero mechanical knowledge. I have always wanted to rebuild a truck or a muscle car, but I can definitely see it being something that would quickly turn into an overwhelming project that I wasn't even remotely ready for. For my first go at a classic I'm definitely going to go with something that's pretty much done, and the only major things would be tweaking things to my liking if need be.

If I had a ton of extra time and money, and some know how I would still absolutely love to completely restore one myself. Mainly for the reason you stated, that it can creat a much stronger "bond" and appreciation.

Thanks for the craigslist tip! I was wondering if there was a way around that.

Awesome, I'm bookmarking them now.

I'm definitely going to get as much feedback as I can on my future finds! I'm sure it might be pretty frustrating if I find something I think looks perfect, but I would definitely suffer through a few heartbreaks haha, then make a huge mistake.

I'm just glad that the truck I showed you had the initial problem so we held off on the purchase, and that I found this forum and all of you very knowledgeable guys (girls too maybe?) before jumping on something I would soon regret. Before this I was pretty much stumbling blindly through listings looking for something jacked up and shiny...

Thanks again!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I definitely believe you on the headache, heartache point! And ya, I have zero tools (save the basics every household should have on hand) and zero mechanical knowledge. I have always wanted to rebuild a truck or a muscle car, but I can definitely see it being something that would quickly turn into an overwhelming project that I wasn't even remotely ready for. For my first go at a classic I'm definitely going to go with something that's pretty much done, and the only major things would be tweaking things to my liking if need be.

If I had a ton of extra time and money, and some know how I would still absolutely love to completely restore one myself. Mainly for the reason you stated, that it can creat a much stronger "bond" and appreciation.

Thanks for the craigslist tip! I was wondering if there was a way around that.

Awesome, I'm bookmarking them now.

I'm definitely going to get as much feedback as I can on my future finds! I'm sure it might be pretty frustrating if I find something I think looks perfect, but I would definitely suffer through a few heartbreaks haha, then make a huge mistake.

I'm just glad that the truck I showed you had the initial problem so we held off on the purchase, and that I found this forum and all of you very knowledgeable guys (girls too maybe?) before jumping on something I would soon regret. Before this I was pretty much stumbling blindly through listings looking for something jacked up and shiny...

Thanks again!

Well, then we have a lot more in common than I thought.....I've always loved the style of the 73-79 dents, which is why I gravitated towards them when looking for a classic to own. I still love the bumps, but gravitate towards the dents far more, probably because of the grills.

But like you, I only had regular tools that any household would have and since getting my trucks and being on this forum, I've increased my tool collection 5 fold and have even learned to do some minor maintenance on my more modern daily drivers. Ask anyone on here.....I've come a long, long way!

I have two young boys and with or without them (you know they're going to want to wrench with dad!) someday, I plan on restoring something just for that comrade-re and self satisfaction we mentioned above, but in the mean time, it'll be normal maintenance and upkeep with the "ready to drive to a car show" classics.

For single cabs (Crew Cabs, you can almost increase the below prices 50-100% and deduct a small percentage for 2WD):

Based on the economy and from buying my two rigs in the last 4 years, I bet you can get a truck that you can pull into any car show and place 1, 2, or 3 in the 4x4 class for around $15k anywhere in the country.

For $8-12k, I know you can get a solid rebuilt motor, rebuilt tranny, decent body work, daily driver or cruiser without having to much if anything to it other than preference stuff.

For $5-8k you can get a great, solid dent that will look very presentable and even be good for a daily driver with normal condition and wear/tear issues.....might not turn a lot of heads, but being a classic will regardless.....you just won't be able to wow them when you open the hood or look in the cab at the interior.

I shopped for nearly a year and a half before my truck popped up on fleabay.
I had to (buy it now) , the day the ad came out.
Then I had it shipped from the west coast to the east coast.

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I shopped for nearly a year and a half before my truck popped up on fleabay.
I had to (buy it now) , the day the ad came out.
Then I had it shipped from the west coast to the east coast.

Why didn't you drive it? For us that was some of the greatest memories we have of the trucks.

Well, then we have a lot more in common than I thought.....I've always loved the style of the 73-79 dents, which is why I gravitated towards them when looking for a classic to own. I still love the bumps, but gravitate towards the dents far more, probably because of the grills.

But like you, I only had regular tools that any household would have and since getting my trucks and being on this forum, I've increased my tool collection 5 fold and have even learned to do some minor maintenance on my more modern daily drivers. Ask anyone on here.....I've come a long, long way!

I have two young boys and with or without them (you know they're going to want to wrench with dad!) someday, I plan on restoring something just for that comrade-re and self satisfaction we mentioned above, but in the mean time, it'll be normal maintenance and upkeep with the "ready to drive to a car show" classics.

For single cabs (Crew Cabs, you can almost increase the below prices 50-100% and deduct a small percentage for 2WD):

Based on the economy and from buying my two rigs in the last 4 years, I bet you can get a truck that you can pull into any car show and place 1, 2, or 3 in the 4x4 class for around $15k anywhere in the country.

For $8-12k, I know you can get a solid rebuilt motor, rebuilt tranny, decent body work, daily driver or cruiser without having to much if anything to it other than preference stuff.

For $5-8k you can get a great, solid dent that will look very presentable and even be good for a daily driver with normal condition and wear/tear issues.....might not turn a lot of heads, but being a classic will regardless.....you just won't be able to wow them when you open the hood or look in the cab at the interior.

Wow, we definitely do have a ton in common here. I actually have a 4 year old son, and a 2nd son on the way in September. I have always wanted to restore something with each kid for them to have as their first vehicle. It's something I wished I had with my dad, so hopefully they have some interest in it as well.

Regarding the prices, I'm glad I only want single cab! And wow, I really had no idea you could get that quality for such a reasonable price. When I do find my truck it will be my DD. Living on post will make the amazing gas mileage a very minor issue.

I'm definitely going to be looking for one in the 8-15k range that meets your listed criteria.

The two tone scheme your 79 has if definitely what I'm looking for as well. Blue, green, black or red.

The grill really does it for me on the dents as well. The grill and the square headlights (I know dents don't all have them) look amazing together IMO.

You must have come a long way if you went from no knowledge to putting 60k into restoring one! That's freakin awesome.

Last edited:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Because it has 4:10 gears.

So, gas mileage? Isn't that what mine are geared at? I drove those monsters around the country? :suspicious:

Wow, we definitely do have a ton in common here. I actually have a 4 year old son, and a 2nd son on the way in September. I have always wanted to restore something with each kid for them to have as their first vehicle. It's something I wished I had with my dad, so hopefully they have some interest in it as well.

Regarding the prices, I'm glad I only want single cab! And wow, I really had no idea you could get that quality for such a reasonable price. When I do find my truck it will be my DD. Living on post will make the amazing gas mileage a very minor issue.

I'm definitely going to be looking for one in the 8-15k range that meets your listed criteria.

The two tone scheme your 79 has if definitely what I'm looking for as well. Blue, green, black or red.

The grill really does it for me on the dents as well. The grill and the square headlights (I know dents don't all have them) look amazing together IMO.

You must have come a long way if you went from no knowledge to putting 60k into restoring one! That's freakin awesome.

I went from zero knowledge to doing a little bit of maintenance, very minor repairs and diagnosing. And the fellas on here knows that is a long way considering my very non-mechanical background. I bought both my dents exactly the way they were......I need another 30 years on this forum and a heck of lot more tools to put together a build like my 77 or 79 even. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Looking forward to seeing what you eventually get....that's awesome! Good luck in your search.....can't wait to see.

So, gas mileage? Isn't that what mine are geared at? I drove those monsters around the country? :suspicious:

I went from zero knowledge to doing a little bit of maintenance, very minor repairs and diagnosing. And the fellas on here knows that is a long way considering my very non-mechanical background. I bought both my dents exactly the way they were......I need another 30 years on this forum and a heck of lot more tools to put together a build like my 77 or 79 even. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Looking forward to seeing what you eventually get....that's awesome! Good luck in your search.....can't wait to see.

Ahhhhhh ok, I must have gotten some brain wires crossed somewhere. Still... Just doing minor repairs and diagnosing issues is a big leap. I will feel very accomplished when I can simply look into an engine bay, or under the truck and know half of what I'm looking at lol.

Thanks! And thank you again for all the help.

Ford Truck Articles