Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New member, what's upppp

I joined this forum pretty recently, and I have been meaning to do my introduction ever since. So hi. Ok cool, done!

Ok, a little more info I guess...

I have been in love with 73-79 Ford trucks for a long time, but just recently started actually looking into buying one. I found a 79 f-250 that I loved a few weeks ago while I was on leave (Army), but didn't pull the trigger because the truck had a few problems. I'm they have gotten it squared away (minimally) since then, but I'm pretty sure it's overpriced, especially for what needs done now that I have done a little more comparison shopping. If anyone would like to check out the listing and give me a much more informed opinion that would be awesome.

My technical automotive knowledge/experience is basically non existent. I have always wanted to learn enough to slowly restore some classics, but so far I havnt done anything.

So hi everybody, I look forward to learning a lot, browsing more amazing pictures, and hopefully before too long sharing pics of a truck of my own!

Welcome to FTF. If you want a little help with choosing a truck, post some pictures or the add and we love picking out anything wrong with the truck or the add.YelloThumbUp

Right Ken ? :rofl:

Thank you :)! I'm pretty positive it's not a good deal, but getting informed opinions would definitely put my "just do it" voice to bed for good, lol.

This is what I know is wrong with it..
- they said it shakes a little at highway speed because the lift might. It have been done properly
- it's leaking a small amount of transmission fluid from the transfer case. Once parked it leaks a few dime sized drops until it cools down.
- leaking a small amount of oil from the rear main, again dime sized until it cools down.

The add says 4 wheel drive might not work, but it does.
Also, when I googled the vin I found a listing from 2011 where this truck was being sold at a salvage auction. It had some body rust in the old pictures, which is not present in the current state. Visibly at least.

The link won't take you directly to the truck for some reason, but it's very easy to find. Just got to Ford- 1979 F-250 Ranger Restored. The price they gave me is $8,600 not including TT&L, but shipped from Texas to Georgia at no cost.

http://www.bbcmotorsports.com/web/iui/#___2__

fatherdoug

Tonto Papadapolous
Run, don't walk from that vehicle. You would be better off paying less money for something that you KNOW what the condition is.

Some small things. The ONLY thing holding that midship gas tank in place is that rusted out piece of metal beneath it. You're looking to drop a 26 gal Molotov cocktail on the road someday. Those shrouds are not manufactured and are extremely hard to find, if at all.

The Lariat badge on the glove box looks brand new, but where are the Lariat badges on the cowl?

The truck is worth what you are willing to pay for it. I'm not willing to pay that much for that truck.

I wonder what all these charges would add up to be. ?
All advertised prices exclude government fees and taxes, any finance charges, any dealer document preparation charge, and any emission testing charge. The price for listed vehicles as equipped does not include charges such as: License, Title, Registration Fees, State or Local Taxes, Dealer Prep, Smog Fees, Credit Investigation, Optional Credit Insurance, Physical Damage of Liability Insurance, or Delivery Fees.
:hammer:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Welcome to FTF. If you want a little help with choosing a truck, post some pictures or the add and we love picking out anything wrong with the truck or the add.YelloThumbUp

Right Ken ? :rofl:

RIGHT! I passed on dozens of 73-79 rigs cause of everyone's help on here......best dent knowledge on the planet here! Just read about this month's truck of the month.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
That is not a "restored" truck.

Like said already. ...run away, not walk.

Sent from my not so smart phone using Forum Runner! :)

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to FTF, lots of good knowledge here that will help in your choice of purchase.

Thanks for checking it out and for the advice guys. I would never have had a clue about the fuel tank thing, or where all to look for Lariat badges. That def raises possible red flags.

I definitely won't keep slightly considering it anymore. Thanks again for the advice, and thank you to everyone for the warm welcome!

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Oh yeah and :welcome:

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine

1970Custom

They call me Spuds
Middleton, ID
Welcome to the site and thank you for your service.....

Just my humble opinion, but you'd be better off with a Bumpside ('67-'72) over a Dentside ('73-'79).... :D. Then again, I'm a bit partial....

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
Just read through the first one. That's such a great find! In regards to how much money was put into restoring it and how much you actually paid, is it pretty normal to get them for so much less?
I've been told by more than one restoration expert that in a good economy you'll get back $.25-.30 for every $1 you invest and that DOESN'T include labor or your sweat equity.

My 79 - the parts receipts came to almost $30k then labor on top of that. My 77..... $5k into the motor build and $7k in paint.....receipts for that went into the $60's.

It adds up....

So if someone puts in $30-$40k on a rebuild. ..... $8-15k resale depending on economy and quality of the build.

Then is it a:

-Frame off nut and bolt restoration. (Both of mine were these.)

-Frame up restoration.

-Paint and body only (lots of builds like this).

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
....and yes thanks for your service!

Ford Truck Articles