Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New member 1962 F100 stepside

Hi guys I have a 1962 F100 stepside truck. Now its got the straight 6 and a 4 speed with granny. I dont know a a lot about american trucks yet. 19 yrs old only really owned 3 datsun projects.

Well anywho I have this 62 f100. It runs and shifts great!(has the 6cyl 4speed on the floor) and drive..well not so great the steering is loose. and the breaks are well working but not great. so in need of some help..

What I wanna know is how to fix the loose front endl. I figured bushings and stuff like that but then I got thinking well what kind of steering is this? (havent really looked at it closly enough) I fairly certain its got a steering box and figured because of its age that could be bad and just need repaced or adjusted in some way? Or a steering stabilizer? Any help is appreciated.

And about the brakes? I tried some searching, but I was hoping to convert the truck to front disk brakes. I was hoping I could use some later model ford pickup with the same lug configuration? what years would that be? would I also have to convert the master cylinder over to a later year as well or no?

Thanks

john112deere

caffeine junkie
Staff member
central Vermont
It's a 50 year old truck....it'll probably never steer or stop like a Datsun.

That said, I'd probably start at the wheels and work my way in looking for slop...wheel bearings that are too loose, worn kingpins, worn tie-rod ends, etc. Might check for a worn rag-joint in the steering column, too. Maybe it's just been bad luck, but I wouldn't go start playing with the steering box until you're sure you have to.

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
I agree about not messing with the gearbox until you absolutely have to...they have a tendency to have a problem after they've been "fixed". Like was said above...check the steering components....as for disk brakes....Assuming the lug patterns are the same I don't see why a late 70's front end setup wouldn't be feasible. Welcome to the site and post some pics of that old beauty!

Thanks for the responses, I looked over the truck and haad a friend turn the wheel while I looked under the truck to watch all the tie rod ends and steering arms. Well one of the arms probably has a 1/8 in maybe a little more of play in it. So im going to look into what that arm is called and replace that bushing and arm together.

If someone could help me out with what the arm is called that would be great, It the arm that connects in-between the arm that come's out of the frame, and the bar that moves the outer tie rods? it looks just like a tie rod. Pit-man arm?

Also when he started to turn the wheel nothing underneath moved underneath the truck when he turned the wheel for a small amount and then all of a sudden the arms began to move when I noticed the play in the one bushing. I realize the way I am saying this it may be hard to understand.

Last edited:
61-64 have a steering box that's integral with the steering column. In other words, the steering shaft is part of the box, and the "column" is just a tube that slides over the shaft to hold the upper end in place.

Options for rebuilds are limited to pulling the entire assembly (a royal pain) and then sending it out to be refurbished - when I looked into doing it on mine I think it was like $600!!!

They make aftermarket disc brake kits for reasonable money (~$300), and it is possible to add a sway bar & lowering springs if those sorts of things suit your fancy.

I threw in the towel on the OE setup & am in the process of installing a 2004 crown vic front suspension. Great setup but not for the faint of heart.

A great resource for info is www.FordTruk.com (slick60's).

Good luck!

BKW

Ford Parts Guru
It's a 50 year old truck....it'll probably never steer or stop like a Datsun.
Maybe yes, maybe no...it all depends on the condition of the Datsun, considering that the last one was made in 1986. :)

btw: ALL the parts necessary to rebuild these gearboxes are obsolete, but still can be found at Ford Dealers, obsolete parts vendors.

The cost for the parts will be a lot cheaper than paying 600 bucks for an autoparts store rebuild...that may not be worth two cents...as it all depends on what parts were replaced.

Last edited:
lol every datsun ive had been a 280zx. so ya they stop and turn on a dime. I still have one its an 1980

Ya I found the drag link has a lot of play in one of the bushings so im gonna replace that and see how much it helps.

Thanks for the replys :)

try speedwaymotors. com for there disc brake set up.... it's under 300 bucks and all bolts right to your original spindles.

Sven7

Derping
lol every datsun ive had been a 280zx. so ya they stop and turn on a dime. I still have one its an 1980

Ya I found the drag link has a lot of play in one of the bushings so im gonna replace that and see how much it helps.

Thanks for the replys :)

Keep the OG brakes. They build character. :cooldude:

Funny you mentioned the Datsuns as I just got a ride in my friend's small block S130 today! It was rainy so he opened a bag of Doriftos. :wasntme:

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts