Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

new guy needs help

hey guys my name is roy i just got a new well new to me 74 f-250 high boy with a 490 and a c6 trans. i was wondering if anyone here knows of a 4 speed automatic that will fit. cause it looks like th c6 has a real short tail housing on it any info will help thanks guys.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Did you mean 390 or 460? If a 390, you should be able to get a T18 or T19 to work, just remember to get all the linkages, bell housing and depending on what vehicle you pull it from, you may need to swap out tail shafts. If it's a 460, all that stuff I just said still holds true, but I'd be looking for NP435.

thanks for you help guys. i must of written the question wrong i was trying to find a 4 speed automatic transmission or some kind of over drive. any thoughts?

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
thanks for you help guys. what does NP435 mean is that the model

NP= New Process

435= Model?????

NP435 is just the designated name, like C6 is for the auto.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
thanks for you help guys. i must of written the question wrong i was trying to find a 4 speed automatic transmission

Oooooooooooh...well that changes it up. You're not gonna find a 4 speed auto that's gonna be cheap to bolt up. And to clarify, by 4 spd you mean a 3spd with an OD? If so, then you can go the route of an E4OD. But you'll need the trans at about $500-1000, then you'll need a stand alone computer at the tune of $500. And a few other odds and ends. So you'll end up facing $2-2500 right in the mouth. If it were me, and I were gonna spend that kinda coin, I'd just buy a Gear Vendors OD unit and that'll give OD at each gear.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Yeah was gonna say the NP435 is a standard tranny

Damn...I just went back and re-read his initial question...and sure as chit it says auto doesn't it. I even checked to make sure it wasn't edited. I get a fail for the day.

lol ya i mean a 3speed with od. wow that gear vendors od unit looks cool. but i was hoping for something that dose not cost more than the truck lol. i think im gonna look in to the e4od and see if i can get off a lil cheaper. thanks for your help ben.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Not a problem...that's what we're here for. Can anyone chime in here...if he does go E4OD, will he need an adapter plate to his 460...or will it be a bolt on unit?

bucks77ford

We will Rise Again
Not a problem...that's what we're here for. Can anyone chime in here...if he does go E4OD, will he need an adapter plate to his 460...or will it be a bolt on unit?

No adapter as long as the E40D came from a 460 and not a diesel. I don't think there is an adapter to mate a diesel E40D to a 460. Also, if you are looking for an E40D, try to find a mid 90s and later since they are better. As Ben said, you do need a stand alone computer to make the E40D work.

Option 1: Gear Vendors OD unit
Option 2: E40D plus standalone Computer
Option 3: Upgraded AOD plus adapter plate to mate to 460

dakonthemountain

California Chapter member
I'm not the expert here.... so remember that with my comments that follow.

I didn't think the 460 came in a 74?.....My F350 SC at the time could only have a 390, so am I missing something? If that is the case, then will the driveline components be able to "match up" with the 460? Were the engine mounts etc. the same?
Dak

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Actually Dak, the only V8 available for the OP's truck was a 360, so obviously alot has been swapped in as is. So in its original state, yes you're correct...but since everything has already been swapped to its current state, it should just be a matter of bolting stuff up and possibly a dshaft and modification.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Got it Ben. I forgot the little item of it being a 4 x 4, and the only original V8 engine option was the 360. Standard was the inline 6. Thanks!
Dak

Good...don't let it happen again...haha.

what about the e4od in the diesel i think they have there own stand alone computer for the trans. anyone know for sure?

if it is true it would eliminate a lot of cost.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts