Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New girl looking for some help!

Hey guys, my name is Melissa amd I recently moved from san Diego to Southern Maryland. I'm having some problems with my ford that seem to be common, but I'm not sure where to continue. I have a '95 F150 with a 5.8L. I have done most of the work on it for the past 10 years that I've had it. My truck has an erratic idle on start up that revs to 2000rpm with the CEL blinking 3 times, almost stalls, and self recovers. Also recently has been shuttering while driving. I have run all the tests for KOEO and KOER and changed the timing to 10 degs from 8. I get a CM code 211 (profile ignition pickup sensor circuit failure) for the KOEO test. I replaced the distributor instead of the PIP itself as I do not have all the tools. I still have the same symptoms and code. Initially it cleared but it has now returned. My truck has also randomly not started twice, but eventualy always did after a few tries. I also have a Haynes manual that I have been using. Any suggestioms or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

DNFXDLI

The Token Canadian
Staff member
Welcome to FTF...you might want to post this in the Certified Ford Tech Help forum as well.

blacksnapon

Staff member
CONTINUOUS MEMORY DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) 211: ERRATIC IGNITION
DTC 211 indicates two successive erratic Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP) pulses occurred, resulting in a possible engine miss or stall.

Possible causes:

Loose wires/connectors.
Arcing secondary ignition components (coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, etc.).
On-board transmitter (2-way radio).*
Verify all radio and condenser installations. Carefully follow manufacturer's installation instructions regarding the routing of antenna and power leads.
Are any of the above present?
Yes No
SERVICE as necessary. CLEAR Continuous Memory (REFER to Quick Test Appendix, Section 5A .) RERUN Quick Test. For No Starts on 2.0L Probe:
GO to AA1 .
All other No Starts:
REFER to Section 8A for DI Diagnostics.
All others:
GO to NA2 .

taxreliever

Licensed to Represent!
Maine
I thought the thread title read, "new grill".... :)

Thanks for all the quick feedback and welcomes! I will start with checking MAF sensor and TPS then move onto checking for arcing, etc.:)

MAF Sensor

I cleaned the MAF sensor and replaced it, I'll see how it runs tomorrow. There is a slight bend in one wire (picture attached). Is this an issue? Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts