Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Front Hub Assembly & Bearings Needed

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Well guys, it is off to the dealer Friday morning for 2 new front hub assemblies (fun to go there and watch... but it's a ***** when I have to pay).

I have 159,600 miles on my truck as of today... so I feel confident I got my monies worth out of the OEM bearings/hubs!!!!!!!!!

Started getting a harmonic humming sound from my driver's side front end and figured it was a bearing going bad... which it is according to a local mechanic.

Here is what I have learned... pay attention guys....

1) The front hub assembly is a complete new "assembly" as the bearings are sealed and non servicable. The entire hub is removed and replaced with a new one.

2) The first mechanic I went to quoted me $471.00/ea for the hub assembly (Ford Motorcraft assemblies) and $250 labor.

3) Went to second mechanic shop (high-end) and they quoted me over $600.00/ea for a assembly from NAPA and the labor was about the same (what a rip off)!!!

4) Called my local Ford dealer and they quoted me $407.00/ea for the assembly and $225 for labor (I booked my appointment for Friday). I figured that I get a nationwide warrenty and they were less expensive than the first independant mechanic shop I went to (way to go Ford dealer).

Here's the important part..... pay attention...

I went on-line and did a search for Motorcraft parts and found 2 different Ford dealers selling parts on-line for a whole lot less money!!! I called my service advisor and had the dealer's name, number and the price available so they could verify.

The price on-line was $330.50 and $335.86/ea for the hub assembly for my truck... what a savings over the $407.00/ea they quoted me!!! They call ed me back and would do the work for me for that price. The prices on the internet matched up to the Ford wholesale pricing available. My advisor stated that this is the price they sell to other smaller mechanic's at... but they would honor that price for me (since I am a loyal customer and did my research of other on-line Ford dealers).

I will now get both front hub assemblies done for $335.86/ea and $225 total labor... which is a savings of $72/ea... and it will be done by the dealership (for less than 2 independant mechanic shops).

"Power to the people"... the internet is a powerful tool!!!!

Thanks,

Jeff

blacksnapon

Staff member
I guess you can see why I dont deal in money (I guessed $200 each)

CaFordDude

Charter Member
Cali
Nice job Jeff. What I find better then the fact that you found better prices is that when you contacted your dealer about the lower prices they agreed to honor that price, and were nice enough to give you an explanation as to the pricing difference.

+1 for using Ford.

Beachbumcook

Kansas Chapter member
Nice job Jeff. What I find better then the fact that you found better prices is that when you contacted your dealer about the lower prices they agreed to honor that price, and were nice enough to give you an explanation as to the pricing difference.

+1 for using Ford.

Yep... and even selling me the hub assembly parts at wholesale selling price (what they sell to other non-ford shops), they are still making themselves money... and keeping me as a customer.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts