Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New front end ???

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
I just want to know your guys thoughts on trying to swap out the front end tin the fenders the hood the grill everything, for the mid to late 70's front end.... just wan to know some thoughts on this

O'Rattlecan

Redneck Prognosticator
Belton, MO
The cab is substantially different... For a swap that the body lines match, you could theoretically do anything from 1980-1996

Ryan

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
damn i knda figured that, but just wanted to confirm it, maybe ill upgrade to a newer front end hmmmm....

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
he how about the early 80's front ends how different is that style cab than my 89'

A_G

wuh?
Tulsa, Ok
there is no theory about it.

its been done a 87-91 to a 92-96 front end has been swapped over. Sychostang on NWU did it.

I believe it was doors, fnders lights header panel etc where changed oh and hood.

Fellro

Staff member
80-86 front clip is the same, 87-91, then 92-96. The sheetmetal between those year groups are the same. If you want to swap a whole clip, you can go from 80-96 and it bolts up to any cab from those years. Doors are the same in each of those groups, the only differences being the vent window and door latch handle mechanism, plus the original door panel inside, but with a little modification, any interior door panel can also be used.

Visual difference between 80-86 and the rest is that the earlier version has the indent at the wheel well, while the rest of the years has a flare there.

Boxes trade across the board from 80-96 with the same visual difference. Tail lights are also a change in the same age groups.

I was wondering about doing a swap also. I love the looks of the 70's front clips and was curious if a swap was possible.

I didn't look into it too seriously as I don't have any 70's parts and I figured it wouldn't work anyway. Plus I'm assuming the indented body lines would be different from the 70's to a 9th generation truck.

I was even thinking of maybe a 7th generation front clip onto my '94. Jim

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Anything is possible with enough money, tools and know how. However, I think it would be a trick and a half trying to get everything to blend. I think the body lines are just too far off to do it and make it look good. I think a much easier and cheaper route would be to take a good dentside cab and bed and swap it on to your current chassis. Worst case scenario there, you're looking at some clearance issues and a little drilling.

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
80-86 front clip is the same, 87-91, then 92-96. The sheetmetal between those year groups are the same. If you want to swap a whole clip, you can go from 80-96 and it bolts up to any cab from those years. Doors are the same in each of those groups, the only differences being the vent window and door latch handle mechanism, plus the original door panel inside, but with a little modification, any interior door panel can also be used.

Visual difference between 80-86 and the rest is that the earlier version has the indent at the wheel well, while the rest of the years has a flare there.

Boxes trade across the board from 80-96 with the same visual difference. Tail lights are also a change in the same age groups.

this is the best explaination.

Fellro

Staff member
I have seen later model boxes on Gen 6 trucks, not a match at all. The trick to a front swap is that the fenders go back under the cowl on the Gen 6 trucks, while the later models go alongside the cowl. The cowl is integral to the cab on the Gen 6, not on the later models.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
so i think i may go the route of swapping a whole body of a 70's style body onto my 89's frame to me that seems the best route, its gonna take some work but itll be worth it

5.0Flareside

GingaNinja
La Vergne, TN
why? i though your body was perfectly ok. and its gonna take ALOT of work non of the mounts will be right. the electronics wont swap over. tons of issues with it. and another thing is... is finding a dentside up there without alot of rust is gonna be tough.

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
the truck body is in mint condition virtually rust free im practically deleting all the electronics going back to a carbed motor " BASICS".... yea thinin about it now itll be a ton o work and finding a cab would be very hard ill probably leave it or upgrade to a newer front clip

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
if ur shooting for the late 70s look the closest ull get is the 80-81 front clip...its still a gen7 (80-86) but the difference in these two year models from the rest of the gen 7s is the grilles dont have the ford emblem in the middle its just a big open grill and i believe that they have the "FORD" letters across the front of the hood like the late 70's but im not totally sure

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
i looked, and yes, the 80-81's do have the ford lettering across the hood

crzybil87

C.R.A.Z.Y.B.I.L.L
hmm ill definately have to look into that im just tired of driving down the road and seeing the same front end as mine so id figure id try to go with an older look for it

fordman76367

Texas Chapter member
im not much for the gen 8 front clip anyways...the grill n headlight just look...weird..i think ur truck would look great with a early gen7 clip on it

I don't have any pics right now, but that is what I did. I have a 91 I bought cheap. Never really liked the looks of the 87-91 frontend. Got a 92 frontend to put on it. You will need everything forward of the windshield. There are 2 tabs on the cab that will need to be added to attach the cowl panel. The headlight connectors need to have 2 wires swapped, and you will have to custom fab some brackets to mount the front bumper. Pretty easy swap overall. Finally just got mine painted. I will post some pics after her first bath. I had originally thought about going to an 86 frontend, but decided on the 92. The only thing I seen to change over to 80-86 is the lwr fender bolt hole near the door. 87-96 screw in from the side. 80-86 screw up from the bottom. Probably a simple bracket change there too.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
why? i though your body was perfectly ok. and its gonna take ALOT of work non of the mounts will be right. the electronics wont swap over. tons of issues with it. and another thing is... is finding a dentside up there without alot of rust is gonna be tough.

Going the route he was wanting to go, the toughest thing would have been finding a good dentside body. The body swap wouldn't have been too terribly difficult.

the truck body is in mint condition virtually rust free im practically deleting all the electronics going back to a carbed motor " BASICS".... yea thinin about it now itll be a ton o work and finding a cab would be very hard ill probably leave it or upgrade to a newer front clip

Maybe i missed it, but why not go with a 92-96 front clip? Of course it's all about personal preference but I refer to the 80-86's as the 'black years'.

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts