Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New Carb

My electric choke works just fine lol...truck can sit for 2 weeks, go outside, pump the pedal a couple times (not to the floor) then turn the key. Vroooooooom...feather the gas a little to keep her going, then walk away and let her warm up on high idle. I then hit the pedal once and she drops down to curb idle.

Last edited:

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
My electric choke works just fine lol...truck can sit for 2 weeks, go outside, pump the pedal a couple times (not to the floor) then turn the key. Vroooooooom...feather the gas a little to keep her going, then walk away and let her warm up on high idle. I then hit the pedal once and she drops down to curb idle.

Same here for both of mine...except there's no feathering. Once to the floor, let her warm up, one more pump to drop the idle and take off. I figure that's pretty good since Red's carb has barely been touched in 8.5 years of ownership and she's been known to sit for up to 4 months. The jury is still out on the Bronco's carb, but it's the same damn thing.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Ben, hate to say it, but we're just effing awesome

No doubt. If ever we walked into the same room at the same time, I'm pretty sure everybody else's head would explode due to our awesomeness.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
My 'letric choke works great too.

My carb was tuned by Chuck Norris. That makes me the mayor of Awesome Town.

mine was tuned by chuck norris as well, he just didnt touch the choke. (By chuck norris i mean my favorite auto tech hin town. he could take a motor with 3 piston missing and make it run smooth

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ben, hate to say it, but we're just effing awesome

No doubt. If ever we walked into the same room at the same time, I'm pretty sure everybody else's head would explode due to our awesomeness.
You two dont count cause it dont get cold enough often enough for ya to really need it.
My 'letric choke works great too.

My carb was tuned by Chuck Norris. That makes me the mayor of Awesome Town.

Not sure where you live.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
You two dont count cause it dont get cold enough often enough for ya to really need it.

Does it matter? When you have a carb tuned to run in temps from 80-105* for 6 months out of the year and tuned to run in temps from 0-40* 6 months out of the year, it still affects the choke. Our temps are just on the opposite end of the spectrum than yours. Choke set up for 100* temps isn't gonna react the same when it's below freezing. Just like if your was set up for below zero temps, it's not gonna react the same when it's 70*.

Jolly Green

I Salt My Ketchup
Not sure where you live.

I'll be damned. I thought my location appeared on my posts. I'm in Central Pennsylvania- where the men are men, and the sheep scared.

---It does appear there now. I fixed it.

So, yea, it gets cold enough here to need the choke. I don't run my truck in the snow and salt very much, but it does sometimes run in cold weather.

Last edited:

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Does it matter? When you have a carb tuned to run in temps from 80-105* for 6 months out of the year and tuned to run in temps from 0-40* 6 months out of the year, it still affects the choke. Our temps are just on the opposite end of the spectrum than yours. Choke set up for 100* temps isn't gonna react the same when it's below freezing. Just like if your was set up for below zero temps, it's not gonna react the same when it's 70*.

No it dont matter. Ya shouldnt have to mess with it for temperature swings if ya have to re tune it every six months for anything id be more inclined to say the humidity is whats affectin it.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
No it dont matter. Ya shouldnt have to mess with it for temperature swings if ya have to re tune it every six months for anything id be more inclined to say the humidity is whats affectin it.

You're right...you're not messing with the choke, but you are messing with how much fuel or air is running through the carb which needs to be properly mixed so you're running right. So if your choke is letting in too much or too little air at any given time, you're screwed. My guess is that most guys that hate electric chokes or can never get one to work right is because the rest of their carb is out of tune not allowing the choke to do it's job properly. Sure it may run just fine and strong, but probably not as efficiently as possible.

Ford Truck Articles