Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

New 72

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Yeah thats about what happened. Who needs a gun when ya got somethin like that. Ill paint er camo and ill sit out in the weeds with it and when the deer come run em down and have me some deer steak.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Geez dan...you sure you ain't from the south east...sounds like true redneck talk right there.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well sir its bred into me familys originally from kentucky but that was back hunderd or more years ago. I do got a little of the accent though and so does dad. My cousins about the same way as me but he drives a new truck.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
I knew there was a reason why I liked you.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well we got er home at about 2:30 we left at 8:30 this morning. Goin down we burned a tank of fuel and comin back we burned almost two. It was steep in lots of places sometimes more than 6% grade but the ol mule got us home safe and sound we got in after a slight snow storm on the way back. The truck and trailer mustve been at least 10,000 lbs of wieght back there. It squatted the truck down pretty good and made the front end pretty squirrely out on them desert roads. Heres a pic right before we left at the guys house.

And heres when we got home.

It was just barely startin to compress the factory over loads on it so it wasnt too bad. We gave that motor in that truck a work out gettin it home though.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Those are beautiful pics sir...glad to hear it all went well. How far was the trip to use 3 tanks of gas??????? So is the 72 gonna be the new DD? Any plans besides the engine swap?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Thanks ya kindly. The trip was 2 and a half hours each way but its mostly canyons that are very steep and pullin the trailer even when it was empty it was still hard on the truck. As for a DD it will be for around town and a few trips over to moms but mostly its the 85 for long trips. Mods are gonna be new motor and bed along with cb and a good radio with that headliner with speakers and brand new exhaust maybe but it definitly needs glasspacks and gaskets at the least. I took it for a drive today and it coughs and spit and backfires but other than that it really runs good except for bein gutless. Oh yeah and a new seat cause the one thats in it is shot big time.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well me and dad got the timing chain done today and the old one was so loose it was almost skippin teeth. But I learned that the pan has been stripped before and had a wierd plug in it that had big threads to screw into the pan and then a smaller bolt for the new plug. It did run but not very good it backfired alot and it was bad on power. Dad says that well just run the 360 for now untill we either get money to rebuild the other 390 I got torn down or we might put the 390 thats in the 76 in it. Were also just gonna swap the tires from the 76 to the 72 and vice versa. Cause were goin that route with tires Dad said hell buy new exhaust for it. We still dont have the title yet but when we were gettin it the guy was out tryin to get it fixed so hopefully well get it in a few days. I also discovered that the front u joint on the front axle is severly shot (no needle bearings in two of the caps in one of the crosses). I still need to go throught the wheel bearings and stuff and check the brakes and stuff like that. It could also use a new booster but the brakes work pretty good as they are.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds like you got a little work in front of you...but hell what can you expect from a nearly 40 yo truck that was that cheap. My rule of thumb...always expect to put $500-1000 in a new used vehicle after you get it, and you'll be set. But fixin it up some is half the fun right?

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Exacly right thats about what we figured it would be but its in pretty good shape after all that time. I also got the speedo to work and all the gauges to work, Im not sure if all the dash lights work but I turned em on once and half of em worked but the plug was halfway out in the back so I havent tried em since I put the plug in good. We also got some interior stuff on order like a plastic dash cover to put over the cracked one and some armrests and window cranks and window channels. We also got so curtosy light switches too the old ones were all smashed up. The dome light dont work but I havent really looked at it to see whats wrong. Its just been neglected a little bit on the small stuff. I tell ya what workin around that spare tire was kinda hard to do.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well got er runnin good today after gettin the radiator hose and puttin water in it I fired it up and it was backfirin so dad came out and we cleaned off the balancer to find the marks and it was way off on time so we tried to set it right but it wouldnt go. We finally messed with the points some and swapped out the cap and rotor and it runs like a champ now. I was really surprised at how much power that old 360 had in it. I got it to accelerate up the hill comin to town and I got it up to 70. Theres only one thing wrong with it when I go that fast and that is a slight death wobble. It quits doin it after I get back down to 45-50 and I can accelerate back up again and its fine. I dont know if its steering or kingpins or what. Its not that bad the wheel moves about an inch or two real fast and it shakes the front end around. The sterring feels tight but maybe its not as tight as it should be. What do yall think?

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Glad you got her running right dan...as for the wobble...My gues would be TRE's.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
I see well dad was sayin that well tear the whole mess down and then well see what needs replacin and what dont. I think he wants to get it liscensed first so well see after that.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Update on the pickup. We went and got dual exhaust put on it and it ended up goin behind the rear tires with fairly long glasspacks it sounds good just a bit quiet for my likin. I dont think theres enough miles on em so theyre not broke in yet. We also got the shimmy fixed. It turns out it was the tire out of balance. The guy we took it to shook down the front end and couldnt really find nothin wrong but a wheel bearing that was a little bit loose. He also put a steering stabilizer to help with the shimmy. I also got some new tires and rims for it that are pretty small, theyre 9.50x16.5s thats all the tires say on em. Im just gonna run em till theyre done then get me some real diggers for it not sure what yet and im not sure who makes a tire that skinny but still at least as tall as a 33. Me and dad also got some extra keys made, a new lockin gas cap, lubed the window tracks and mechanisms, put new armrests on, had to bend the rods that open the door so it would open with the new arm rests, lubed all the locks and striker stuff, put a rear view mirror in, put air in the spare tire, and painted the spare tire carrier black.

LEB Ben

Arrogant A-hole At-Large
outside your house
Sounds good Dan...what made you decide to go with exhaust behind the tires? As for the gpacks...get 'em good and hot, have a hose ready when you park it...and it'll 'super cool' them and break them up and make them louder.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Well the shop said they couldnt get em to go out before the rears cause of the t case and how long the glasspacks are. Its ok it still sounds good. Ill definitly get em real hot after I get the damn title and get er liscenced and ill give it a shot. Hang on a minute and Ill take some pics of the tires and the exhaust.

1985 Ford F-150

Country Boys Can Survive
Tooele, Utah
Ok heres the pics.
This is how it looks with the 9.50x16.5s

other side

Exhaust on the drivers side

Exhaust on the pass side

The huge bumper hitch some body put on there

Tires that were on it at the guys house when we bought it

Exhaust by the transfer case

Exhaust by transfer case and right before glass packs