Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need to swap my frame what interchanges

Lol thanks 79460F100! Sorry guys I want to swap a 76 F100 2wd LWB frame for a 79 F150 2wd LWB frame. My 76 frame is in very bad shape. The front frame horns are bent and the right rear shock mount has rusted off plus the the leaf mounts are rusting bad in between the frame and mount.

Thanks guys I love this forum!

Lol thanks 79460F100! Sorry guys I want to swap a 76 F100 2wd LWB frame for a 79 F150 2wd LWB frame. My 76 frame is in very bad shape. The front frame horns are bent and the right rear shock mount has rusted off plus the the leaf mounts are rusting bad in between the frame and mount.

Thanks guys I love this forum!

You should not have any problems other than a lot of work. I don't know what year they started putting the long box on the f-100 . I had a 79 f-100 , short box and it was the same as my 73 f-100 accept for trim and a few other things like the wiring which is a little different. Good luck keep us in the loop on how it goes.:)

Awesome thanks guys I will keep you up to in the loop for sure! I cant get the frame for a couple of weeks though. The only thing I am concerned about is the front suspension. Coil springs scare me!

primetime

sawmill slave
Nothing to worry about. Unhook the shock, and lower the axle (after you take off the spring hardware), and out they come. You don`t even need a spring compressor.

Phew! I was afraid the springs were like struts with the spring having a pre load on them. I am not fond of spring compressors so that is great news! I will take a look at the springs to find the hardware you speak of. I might have more questions but thank you for the info!! Oh and nothing is wrong with coil springs now that I have the low down lol they WERE scary. I didnt want to loose an arm over the deal :) Thanks guys!!

Nothing to worry about. Unhook the shock, and lower the axle (after you take off the spring hardware), and out they come. You don`t even need a spring compressor.

Don't drop it on your foot. Put jack stands under it or leave the wheels on.

There was a '79 frame on CL here, just a couple days ago. But Its gone now.

Last edited:
I wish all ford coil springs were as easy to change out as they are on our trucks. Try doing it to an early mustang or falcon if you want a day of living on the edge. Very hard to do even with a spring compressor allthough i have done them with just jacks when i was young and foolish. I'm planning on changing the coils out on my 73 f-100 this year too. It rides to soft so i am going to remove the coils from my old 79 f-150 super cab and try them. They are a larger diameter , i guess you would say ' wire' . If they lift it to much i will just buy new springs, but since they are free i will try them.:)

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts