Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need some suggestions!!

Recently bought a 1990 Ford F150 4x4 with the 302, it was only 1,500 bucks with one owner which was an older man so i felt i couldn't pass it up.

Well it needed a few things because it only got drove once a year so i replaced, EGR, Alternator, Serpentine belt, and a few relays as well. Also changed the oil and bought a K/N air filter for it as well, and i also replaced the plugs and wires. It slowly burns oil because the valve cover gaskets are out so i bought replacements. Not a bad leak or anything but i can see where its leaking and i can smell it plus im getting a little smoke from where the oil is burning off on the heads.

Well i want to get some more horsepower and torque out of this old 302 just doesn't have enough get up and go for me. Since i have the intake off i figured i would give it a port and polish because it has a lot of built up gunk inside does anyone know if this will restore a few horsepower atleast or should i not mess with it? And i would like some more suggestions on what i can do to this motor to get more horsepower i'm not looking to spend a hell of alot on it but i do have some money to put into it. I know changing the gears will help on the torque part but what gears should i run is my other question? Currently has stock rear end. Any suggestions would be great and i will answer any other questions if there is any. Thanks

460Trucker

Has the Cat Scratch Fever
A few things:

- A more free flowing exhaust, for example I put a Flowmaster system on my 97 F250 HD and I noticed a large difference in pickup and power.

- Aftermarket camshafts

- Performance chips (not that expensive, easy install)

- Regular maintenance and tune ups

flareside_thunder

Florida Chapter member
Forget the chip. All the "off the shelf" chips for that year just play with your timing and trick your computer a bit. Google the 6liter tuneup and get her done. Consider exchanging the MSD stuff in the 6L. for DUI (davis unified ignition) parts.....there's been a really bad exchange rate for MSD stuff lately.

optikalillushun

Coal Cracker
If the valve covers are gunna be off, a set of Cobra 1.7:1 rocker arms would be a nice, realitivly cheap upgrade. Adds a little more lift/duration without the hassle of a cam swap and the stock valvetrain wont be compromised. Also a set of headers and full exhaust will wake it up a bit.

As for the intake, why do u have it off? I wouldnt touch it, just give it a thorough cleaning. Also, look into this: http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192260

Ford Truck Articles