Join Our Ford Truck Forum Today

Document your Ford truck project here and inspire others! Login/Register to view the site with fewer ads.

Need some help please..........!

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Thanks for your help man I got to damn busy today to work on it :( so I guess i'm going to have to this weekend... I'll update when I find whats going on.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
(*^%%&$)&^^%$#&%&*(%)#7^ hate wiring!!

Well ok I cut into the wiring today to see what I could find and this is what I found..
At the switch the blue/red wire has juice
PC120002.jpg

After tracing that wire as far as I could in to the harness all the while checking to see if it had power and it dose so.
At the plug I checked the blue/red wire
PC120003.jpg

No power I trached this wire back in to the harness a ways and found this
PC120005.jpg

these are all blue/red striped wires all tied together no power..
Any idea's at all?

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
ya I know but its some place deep in the dash harness some place when I opened on the harness I started finding lots of cut wires that I couldn't find the other side of So I think who ever owned this truck before me was doctor Von hack Oooslash..

Truckin4life

Texas Chapter Leader
Well if your finding lots of cut wires, then it might be a good idea to get in there and see what the heck is really goin on. Might be benifical in the long run, dont want to get your truck just how you like it, then it burn down in an electrical fire...

What year truck are you working on?
That dimmer wire when it leaves the head light switch goes to the fuse box. There it goes through a fuse and goes to all the dash Illumination.
If the ash tray light works then the fuse on the blue wire with a red stripe is good.

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Well after more digging in to my harness I can't find whats the problem it makes no sense to me I can't find any where were the wire is broke cut bad brittle nothing the power just ends....... So i'm gonna just splice in to and get this thing up and running .

radialarm

Clown of Death!
Well after more digging in to my harness I can't find whats the problem it makes no sense to me I can't find any where were the wire is broke cut bad brittle nothing the power just ends....... So i'm gonna just splice in to and get this thing up and running .
Sounds like a plan to me. Good Luck.

CowboyBilly9Mile

Charter Member
USA
I'm having a tad of trouble here and there determining where things are at so I'm going to ask a ? based on one of my earlier posts. Did you ever check for continuity between the dimmer switch and the cluster and are the cluster lights grounded? And the light on the heater controls, does the brightness vary with the dimmer switch?

*If I understand things, I *think* you've got power to and after the dimmer switch and what I've just noted has not been confirmed.

78wiringdiagram.jpg

7879Electrical.jpg

I have read several posts that a similar problem turned out to be a bad connection on the back of the fuse box. The fuse had power on both ends but the wire coming off the back had none.

The diagram just above does not show this circuit but the one above it does.

Last edited:

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
I'm having a tad of trouble here and there determining where things are at so I'm going to ask a ? based on one of my earlier posts. Did you ever check for continuity between the dimmer switch and the cluster and are the cluster lights grounded? And the light on the heater controls, does the brightness vary with the dimmer switch?

*If I understand things, I *think* you've got power to and after the dimmer switch and what I've just noted has not been confirmed.

ya the dimmer switch is good I took the one out of my blue truck and put it in there and same thing no gauge lights.. I've fallowed that wire all over the damn place under dash out side the dash and I can't what could be the source of the issue..

TexasNomad

FTFS Designated DRINKER!
Ok if i'm reading that right it shows two blue/red striped wires going/coming out of the Instruments plug mine only has one blue/red striped wire going to the Instruments plug...
PC100042.jpg

Ford Truck Articles

Recent Forum Posts